b18a1 work or just swap?

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
Alright so I've decided to not sell my da9 and just turn it into my project car.

So I'm trying to decide do I just work with my b18a1 or do I swap?

Either way it's going to be about the same amount of work. I'm pulling my engine no matter what.

If I keep my engine the possible mods are:

pitons
cams
vtec conversion
connecting rods
new bolts and studs
valves and valve springs
b20 head? (heard it's a decent hp gain but I don't trust my sources 100%)

If I get a new engine I'm doing all the same stuff I listed for the b18a1 (cept the vtec conversion of course)

If I swap engines, I'll be putting in an obd1 b18. IDK whether to do lsvtec or gsr or lsvtec with gsr tranny or not swap at all

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

mirrorimg

You will be most streetable on a VTEC motor, as you will not be on the large lobes all of the time as a non-VTEC motor. Having big lobed cams in a non-VTEC will necessitate a high idle (or it will be very lopey).

VTEC heads flow better over the typical non-VEC head as well, meaning higher potential power without a port job.

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
You will be most streetable on a VTEC motor, as you will not be on the large lobes all of the time as a non-VTEC motor. Having big lobed cams in a non-VTEC will necessitate a high idle (or it will be very lopey).

VTEC heads flow better over the typical non-VEC head as well, meaning higher potential power without a port job.
As I said I'm defintitely going vtec

jznsn2u

Do you have storage? tools? time for the project? I think you're better off just saving for a swap.

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
Do you have storage? tools? time for the project? I think you're better off just saving for a swap.
I have plenty of storage, I'm not in a hurry, and my uncle is a full time mechanic and used to drag race so I've got plenty of help and tools

Rich-PMS

How are you going to do a vtec coversion and run a b20 head?

Anyway, just build a lsv with a b16 trans.

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
Would I need a matching radiator for a b18c1 too? Or can I reuse mine? I know a few junkyards where I can get everything I need but is keeping the wiring intact going to be a pain to do? I've pulled engines out of carburated engines before but that's no comparison to pulling a fuel injected engine so I'm not 100% what to expect.

mirrorimg

As I said I'm defintitely going vtec
How are you going to do a vtec coversion and run a b20 head?

Anyway, just build a lsv with a b16 trans.
This is why I talked about a VTEC head outflowing a non-VTEC head.

The only non-VTEC head that flows comparable to a B18C or B16 is the P8R B20 head, that only came on some imported motors (originally on the Honda Orthia).

The B20 is a non-VTEC motor.

Your radiator doesnt need to be changed. They are the same.

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
This is why I talked about a VTEC head outflowing a non-VTEC head.

The only non-VTEC head that flows comparable to a B18C or B16 is the P8R B20 head, that only came on some imported motors (originally on the Honda Orthia).

The B20 is a non-VTEC motor.

Your radiator doesnt need to be changed. They are the same.
Ya ya I understand that but I know some people favor the b20 head over going vtec and I didn't want to leave that out as a possible option.

Glad to hear I don't have to get a new radiator :D

so lsv or gsr?

And do I stick with the matching tranny or get a b16 tranny?

I'm going to a junkyard tomorrow that's full of civics and tegs but the guy doesn't let people take vehicles back in the yard so idk how i'd get an engine out :???:

paoloDa92

uhm if you go with gsr then get a gsr tranny.

lsv idk maybe the ls trans or the b16. not sure tho.

i say i would go with ls vtec.

mirrorimg

If you go LS/V, you NEED to upgrade the rod bolts to safely rev up to the VTEC redline. Otherwise you simply have a VTEC motor with a 7300 redline.

LS/V will have more torque and spin up to the same redline (granted you upgrade the rod bolts) and therefore would make more power.

B18C trans or B16 trans either way, dont bother with the LS transmission, unless you just swap fifth gear over so you have a lower RPM at 70mph on the highway (and therefore better fuel mileage).

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
If you go LS/V, you NEED to upgrade the rod bolts to safely rev up to the VTEC redline. Otherwise you simply have a VTEC motor with a 7300 redline.

LS/V will have more torque and spin up to the same redline (granted you upgrade the rod bolts) and therefore would make more power.

B18C trans or B16 trans either way, dont bother with the LS transmission, unless you just swap fifth gear over so you have a lower RPM at 70mph on the highway (and therefore better fuel mileage).
What ever engine I get I'm going to rebuild and I was gonna do aftermarket rod bolts anyway :D

I don't feel like swapping any gears and I can probably find a b16 tranny easier than a b18c tranny so I'll probably go with the b16. I'm guessing the best place to find one is in a civic. Excuse my civic ignorance but does any year civic have like a better b16 tranny or did they ever change th gears in the b16 tranny? Bascially what year civics should I be looking for?