b18a1 work or just swap?

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
So could I just get a b18b head, cams, and ecu and be done with it? I mean I'd put new head bolt's in and new head gasket and I'd probably put aftermarket pistons in but would I need anything more? Basically can I keep my block and just do the top end????????????

mirrorimg

So could I just get a b18b head, cams, and ecu and be done with it? I mean I'd put new head bolt's in and new head gasket and I'd probably put aftermarket pistons in but would I need anything more? Basically can I keep my block and just do the top end????????????
Dude, you need to figure out what you want, or you need to read more and learn what is what.

First you say you were thinking about a non-vtec, B20 head.
Then you said you were going VTEC
Now you are talking about getting a non-vtec, B18B1 head.

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
Dude, you need to figure out what you want, or you need to read more and learn what is what.

First you say you were thinking about a non-vtec, B20 head.
Then you said you were going VTEC
Now you are talking about getting a non-vtec, B18B1 head.
wait a b18b is non vtec? I thought that was the lsv?

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
I do apologize for being ignorant but the whole b18b b18a b18c thing is still just a little confusing! I want vtec! I was thinking about b20 head (I know non vtec) but I've ruled that out. Now I just wanna know the quickest (I have time to invest but a 10 year project just aint my thing) and easiest (I know nothing is a walk in the park) way to an obd1 vtec engine.

mirrorimg

For 1.8L B-series: A1 and B1 are non-vtec. C1 and C5 are vtec.

Get the things you see here.
Building an LS/VTEC

There isnt much to it. Buy the head, ECU, headgasket (Rod bolts if you want to rev up to the higher redline), and I would upgrade to ARP head studs. Get the block tapped for an oil feed, run a wire for VTEC to engage. Bolt on, drive.

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
For 1.8L B-series: A1 and B1 are non-vtec. C1 and C5 are vtec.

Get the things you see here.
Building an LS/VTEC

There isnt much to it. Buy the head, ECU, headgasket (Rod bolts if you want to rev up to the higher redline), and I would upgrade to ARP head studs. Get the block tapped for an oil feed, run a wire for VTEC to engage. Bolt on, drive.
MUCHOS GRACIAS!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Who can I trust to do tap the block? I live in a po dunk area of VA and the only somewhat savy honda people are wanna be 16 year old civic ricers and a few choice teg drivers. Is a standard run of the mill engine machine shop gonna know what to do?

DumaDa9

if you go lsvtec just buy the golden eagle lsvtec kit and if you read up enough to study the process you can do everything yourself

2ndgen_teg4life

Born usdm raised jdm.
what i would do if i was u is lsv with itr pistons give u a little more power and with a b16 tranny with a lsd and a type r final drive. i

mirrorimg

You can T off of the oil pressure sensor, but Im always wary of letting something with that weight hang off of the back of the block, considering how far it sticks out.

I thing there is another plug you could use somewhere to run an oil feed. You can even get a sandwich plate for the oil filter, and run your oil feed from that.

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
what i would do if i was u is lsv with itr pistons give u a little more power and with a b16 tranny with a lsd and a type r final drive. i
I'm going to do aftermarket pistons. I think you were suggesting oem itr pistons but I have never seen a type r in person. That's how rare they are around here so I know I'm not going to find just the pistons

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
Hopefully this isn't completely retarded but........

somebody confirm this: if I used my b18a1 block and tapped it for an oil feed and got a gsr head with aftermarket cams for a gsr but bored out the engine to 2.0 and used b20 pistons it would work and I'd basically have a b20 vtec?

inteeegraaaaaa

somebody confirm this: if I used my b18a1 block and tapped it for an oil feed and got a gsr head with aftermarket cams for a gsr but bored out the engine to 2.0 and used b20 pistons it would work and I'd basically have a b20 vtec?
for all that just get a b20 block. it would be cheaper

mirrorimg

You can bore stock sleeves in your motor out to 82mm. No further than that. B20 bore is 84mm. You could resleeve the B18 to 84mm (with benson sleeves or whichever brand), but yhats 500 for the sleeves plus machine shop cost.

Better off just buying a b20 block.