Cams and pistons =\ Need help asap

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
I'd switch over to a short ram intake....better than a CAI for increasing high rpm intake air volume and better high rpm throttle response. Or a Comptech SRI w/ the Ice Box, best of both worlds. The high rpm advantages of a SRI while still drawing cold air at all rpm's.
Time to step up to a 2.5 inch exhaust too.

Keep us up on the build progress.
Good thing I went with an AEM SRI.

DarkAngelGSR

*JDM Approved*
2.5 testpipe and then the 2.5 donut collector, and thought the piping was? lol

Tegsox, which Skunk2 came is better, pro series or reg stage 2

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Do you mean the Pro 1's? I haven't been in the market for cams since 2003, so not totally up on new stuff.
I went and checked the Pro 1's, they have slightly higher lift than the Stage 2's and almost identical duration.
Increasing lift increases HP and TQ without moving the point of peak HP and peak TQ up or down the RPM range. Increasing lift may require a higher bump in compression for these cams vs. Stage 2's, I'd ask Skunk to find out for sure.

On the exhaust, I know for sure the Greddy SP is 2.36 inches, I'll bet the SP2 is also.

Check out the VTEC cams Sticky HERE.

Last edited:

DarkAngelGSR

*JDM Approved*
What do u think for cp ratio of 12's for DD?
I'm thinkin to bore block and get higher CR pistons?

and I mean the skunk2 pro-stage 2.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
That's not the way to think of it, that CR A=X 1/4 mile times, CR B=Y 1/4 mile times, and that CR C=Z 1/4 times.
You want a compression ratio that works with your cams, so they can create power at their maximum ability.
You need to set a HP goal, choose the cams that are large enough to meet that goal, as well as sizing all other parts to meet that goal; the intake, header, exhaust, TB, IM are of main importance.

You should overbore the cylinders to create a fresh cylinder wall surface, so the new piston rings can seal properly, that's really important. Are you talking about a simple overbore of .25mm's, or going much bigger, like 4mm's?
Keep in mind that 12.5:1 is about the maximum you can go and still run on pump gas. Do you have 93 octane where you live?

I don't know anything about Skunk2 Pro Stage 2's. Can you put up a link.

I don't think trying to create an all motor engine that run's 12's is realistic for a DD. Getting into the 13's is tough enough for a DD.

DarkAngelGSR

*JDM Approved*
Last edited:

DarkAngelGSR

*JDM Approved*
I started reserching the cams, and I'll fucking need new more expensive springs, my retainers are fine, but the springs, I'll need the Pro-Series ones. Damn it, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

So far need new springs, pistons, cams, fuel pressure regulator, A/F and oil gauge, later on = TB and IM

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
If I bore my block, will I need different valves?

Will ITR valves and Skunk2 Pro-stage 2 cams and Wiseco pistons match 2gether? I don't need another fuck up. lol]
Boring the block doesn't have any affect on valves.

Yeah, they'll all work together fine. Valves don't really have that much affect in an all motor build until you get into more advanced stages of the build, like the P&P stage. ITR valves are very good valves, good design even though they are OEM parts. Can't go wrong with them, seriously.

Those Stage 2's are pretty high lift cams. Keep in mind that the higher lift cams you get, the less area you have to adjust them with the cam gears, especially when coupled with domed high compression cams. You will only be able to advance/retard so far before the piston will hit the valve. Lower lift cams allow a bigger range of adjustment, larger margin of error. Idle quality also suffers with big cams, and smog output increases.

btw, now that I read it again, I think I misunderstood your earlier question about 12's for a DD. I thought you were asking about getting your car into the 12's, as in quarter mile time, and what CR is needed to get there. You were asking about a compression ratio in the 12's though, right? You gotta type more complete sentences, makes my job easier, lol.

Last edited:

DarkAngelGSR

*JDM Approved*
Sorry, I had work and rushed and yeah. lol

Yes, I was asking about CP ratio of 12's not qt mile time.

Which would you say? Stage 2 or 3?

DarkAngelGSR

*JDM Approved*
So far I've made my decision for Skunk2 Pro-stage 2 cams and Skunk2 Pro-Valve springs and Wiseco pistons, just dont know which yet =\