Cman's 1997 GSR Thread~Updated Often!

Cman46290

Yes.. feels MUCH better.... i was really pissed too... because the sway bar links they sent werent the right ones either... i was PISSED... to say the least....

Cman46290

**UPDATE**

So Saturday morning i washed and waxed the Teg... here are a few random crappy cell phone pics that do NO JUSTICE! Truned out looking amazing!

Cman46290

**UPDATE**

Ok so i was bored yesterday... and decided to go ahead and replace my cam plug... i didnt buy a new valve cover gasket or spark plug tube seals like i had planned.... and thats why ive been waiting to do this... but i figure nothing is leaking now... hopefully it stays that way.... if it leaks ill go buy a gasket...all spark plug tubes were oil free as well...I started taking pics during the re-installastion process... i had already gotten the stock cam plug out... and put the new one in.... and put the plate back onto the camshaft and was about to start putting everything back together. here are a few pics~

All done in this one...

And this is after cleaning the oil off the front of the trans... a clean start...hope it stays that way~

Last edited:

Cman46290

whoa, that 4x4 stance is killin it, :p
I agree!... but this is my DD... it aint for show... its practical... fun... and reliable.... and thats what i need.

I have a 1 year old son... so my money goes towards many better things than to make my car sit lower so others will think i look cool.

If i did fall across a great deal... and had extra money i would like to get some lowering springs though... to sit on the stock struts... but i doubt that will happen for a good while...

My ol lady already nags me for putting time/money into the maintenance of this vehicle... she dont see it like I do :) ..... though she can somehow justify paying $50 every 2 weeks for a manicure and pedicure... :roll:

-Corey

Last edited:

Cman46290

**UPDATE**

Well Saturday I got my 2 new tires put on... they are AWESOME... Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum.... they are a great All season touring tire.... comfortable.... and supposed to be great for all weather.... so i will see when winter hits.

The car drove SIGNIFICANTLY better after the tires alone.... but i had bought outer tie-rods already.... and got my alignment done and Tie rods put on yesterday by my buddy at Honda... ended up doing it for me for free... (I used to work at the same dealership :) )

After the tie rods and align... its like driving a new car... front end is FINALLY tight..... so happy with how its driving/riding now.... I plan on maybe ordering 2 more tires this week for the rear just to have it done.

Cman46290

**UPDATE**

So with my lack of money to put into my car, I cant spend a whole lot on stuff on it. I have the infamous exhaust rattle around 3k RPM's which is extremely annoying... and sounds like garbage. I decided i was tired of it and ordered myself an EBAY header... to simply rid myself of the rattle noise... and to spice up the look of my engine compartment. I know i probably wont see much HP/TQ gain.. but that wasnt what i was looking for....

here it is... it just came in the mail... and ill post more pics after the install~

-Corey

Cman46290

**UPDATE**

Ok so after cutting off my CAT to install my header... and putting custom piping from the header to replace the CAT....we got it all welded together... and WAALAA it was done......(so we thought)

So after the hours of work put into this... cutting.. welding... bleeding.... cussing.... drinking beers.... and smoking like a fiend.... We were finally done.... and i was on my way home....

On my way home i hear this raspy ass rattly exhaust leak sound... FML.... so i think at first that maybe there are some pin holes in the welds leaking... NO... turns out that when we were moving and messing with the exhaust pipe around so much... we actually caused the gasket at the muffler flange to start crumbling out... and it was leaking good....

So Monday night i went to replace the muffler flange gasket... but one of the spring bolts was bent into an "L" shape... and had been since i bought the car... i just hadnt replaced it yet cuz it wasnt leaking bad at all... so i go to take out the bent spring bolt... "SNAP"... broke off into the flange as suspected.... oh well.... so i pull off the whole muffler.... and attempt to extract the broken bolt... UNSUCCESSFUL... then damn bolt is SEIZED into the threads in the flange... and rusted to shit.... and not one drill bit i had would do a damn thing... FML.

SO i drop my car off the next morning at meineke to have them take out the broken bolt and put the muffler back on while i was at work... only to get a call around 9:30am... "Sir we cant touch your car without a CAT"..... me: "MOTHERFUCK"

SO i take the day off on Wednesday....to get all my shit done... errands ect ect.... took my car in the mo0rning to a trusted muffler shop i know about 45 minutes away... and had them fabricate me a whole new exhaust.... they cut the flange off the header... cut both flanges off my CAT that i brought in with me...welded a FLEX pipe between the header and CAT.... and re-installed my muffler after cutting off the flanges and welding a new pipe between the muffler and stock piping...

SO now basically i have a custom one piece exhaust... with the CAT still installed.... and a 4-1 header....nice and quiet. with NOOOO rattles. Here are a couple pics of when we were wending the straight pipe in with NO CAT. No pics from at the muffler shop.

and a random :)

p.s. sorry for the long story... i had to let you all know how much work this was to finally get the result i was looking for~

Cman46290

haha its ones of those things where you shoulda done it right the first time. :p
^^ Yes. I wasnt expecting to run into such fitment problems to the stock CAT... and already had the old manifold off and it was not re-useable....

I guess i shoulda researched better before taking the damn thing apart...cuz at that point all we could do was start cutting and make a good temporary fix, then have it fixed later... luckily i got it to where it needs to be...

I would like it to be a tad louder... but it aint worth the hassle.... right now its quiet unless im getting on it.... with no rasp or rattle in any way ....

BeatBox

Real Good!
looks clean! only thing it needs IMO is new headlights

got any video of how the exhaust sounds?

Cman46290

looks clean! only thing it needs IMO is new headlights

got any video of how the exhaust sounds?
Nah no videos... but like i said.. its really qiet at idle and normal driving...

And whats wrong with the headlights? They are clean and clear

Cman46290

**UPDATE**

Well not much of an actual update... but i took a couple pics the other day after a good wash.... just before the snow hit.

There wont be a whole lot of changes up until it gets warmer out. I plan to do some more suspension work... new sway bar links... and new upper and lower ball joints.... and ill prolly be done with the front. Then maybe ill move on to getting springs and struts.... not sure yet...

-Corey