DIY: Change gauge cluster lights/ Under dash neons

TheSkygun

Yeah I went through superbrightleds and have yet to have a problem between three vehicles that I have them in.

Sent from JARVIS

pinatigerdc4

Did you run the wire that corrects underneath the passenger side of the dash to the slider correctly? This messed me up with my stereo because I ran it wrong so that even though I was sliding from side to side it wasn't moving the wire right.

Sent from JARVIS
Found it i was missing the fan relay fuse -_- works now. Thanks though.

Sent from my s2k seats. now Free

randomhobo

automagic user
Doing mine now, wouldn't you know it on of the 194 style bulbs is a dud (I tried everything to get it to work). Next time I'll order extras but for the moment I'm more than pleased with how they look.

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
My question, how would I hook up the floor lights to the dome light, without pulling the liner down? I want it to come on when the door is opened

Please do NOT ask me where to get bulbs from or what size to get or anything like that, everything you need in in this write-up, including direct links to what products to get. If you are too lazy so as to not read the whole thing and figure out what you need, you don't deserve it.

Now, concerning neons... I installed my neons while I had my entire interior torn apart installing my aftermarket stereo system a long time ago, and unfortunately didn't take any pictures. The hard part about explaining how to install these, is there is no one single way to do it. The biggest question I am getting is "what power source do I hook it up to?" Well, this is one of those things that will vary from person to person preference wise. So depending on what you will do, will cause variation of what parts you will need, but here's just a few general things you will most likely need...

- Your choice of neon bars (duh)
- Extra wire (18 gauge should work)
- A switch if you decide to use one
- Butt connectors
- And some creativity ;)

When I installed my audio, I ran the power to the lights to the 12V trigger on my amp. I ran that power wire up to a switch by the e-brake, and then ground it to the chassis. The way it is wired, you do have to turn on the acc, and only then flipping the switch will do anything. (Wiring so that the "acc" must be on before turning on the lights helps avoid the problem of leaving your lights on while the car is not, draining your battery.)

As I said, have the positive wire of your neons connected to the positive power source, (In my case the 12V trigger on my amp) and the negative of the neons to the ground. The switch then completes the circuit when switched on, hence turning on the lights.

Here's an ealier to read wiring diagram for the neons

This is just how I did it, but as stated, there are many other ways of doing this. You could wire it to your 12V power outlet or, if you're creative, wire it so that they turn on when you turn on your headlights. There are more ways than that, but just a few ideas. Get creative with it!!!

Put both of these together, and you get something like this....

Hope this helps! Any questions please feel free to ask.

dudeskee1325

Thanks for the write up and the links, the little things make a big difference! Much happier with my cars appearance!

Sent from my motherbox

pinatigerdc4

Hi

Do you need dielectric grease for the bulbs?

Also, do you prefer superlighthd bulbs or vled bulbs?
Never heard of that grease before? What's the use of it? I've done this method 3x and every time worked for me. And each time used superbrightleds with no problem so I say stick with them..

BTW I done it three times cause my car is low so when I hit dips and bumps they like to pop out. So the last time I superglued them lol. Never poped out again

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
Hi

Do you need dielectric grease for the bulbs?

Also, do you prefer superlighthd bulbs or vled bulbs?
Its really a preference on who you want to go through. Budget is the difference ;)

If you want to use the grease, it probably wont hurt. BTW, LEDs are not considered bulbs

Best thing to do, research and read the reviews on each company you decide to go with