Godspeed turbo kit

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I wouldn't go with the godspeed kit. I had a turbo and intercooler setup from them for a Mazda and the turbo was a junk chinese unit. If you buy a quality turbo/manifold/etc you shouldn't have to replace it for 100k plus miles. You can piece together a quality turbo kit for under 3000 with fuel management. If you can't afford that you should probably just hold off.

hgocasca

level 77 troll
Yup. Just make sure you get a good tune and do proper maintenance.
Ya, I always do proper maintenance, and my rebuild has less than 10k on it, so it's ready for boost, rings are set and worn in, and my best friend is a pro mechanic who sponsors me. I also have a tuner who will do a full dyno tune for $300, chip included. I only need the kit to last me til taxes come back, I'm building the motor for serious power at that time.

Str8Boostin

Sleeper
Ya, I always do proper maintenance, and my rebuild has less than 10k on it, so it's ready for boost, rings are set and worn in, and my best friend is a pro mechanic who sponsors me. I also have a tuner who will do a full dyno tune for $300, chip included. I only need the kit to last me til taxes come back, I'm building the motor for serious power at that time.
Why not just wait until your taxes come in to buy a quality kit? Why go through the hassle/effort of getting a cheap kit, getting it installed (if you're not doing it yourself), paying for a full tune and everything just to do it all over again?

Honestly, if you've got the extra cash to just buy a turbo (600+), tune/chip (300+), and labor (if you're paying for it at all), why not use that grand or so on supporting mods/suspension/tires+rims or something useful?

You need to prioritize IMO. It's not a personal attack either, just constructive criticism.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
The turbo will last if you take care of it and don't dig on it all the time. A oil restrictir is a must. I would price it together though. You can get a intercooler for $80 shipped, piping for $100ish, get a name brand bov and waste gate, and get that turbo for $150

And yeah I didn't put many miles on mine, and kris the rebuild kits are universal, you can get a t3/t4 kit and use the bearings and seals on your turbo.
My motor ate a complete rod bearing, but the turbo held up fine. I took it apart before I sold it, cleaned it up. It's not like it has junk parts in there. There's not many parts in a turbo so it's kinda hard to make a really shitty one.

Over all I'd reccomend taking your time and getting a used name brand turbo off cl.

Last edited:

Havok114

I've got the same turbo in my room right now waiting to be put in I wouldn't buy the whole kit just turbo and piping

hgocasca

level 77 troll
Why not just wait until your taxes come in to buy a quality kit? Why go through the hassle/effort of getting a cheap kit, getting it installed (if you're not doing it yourself), paying for a full tune and everything just to do it all over again?

Honestly, if you've got the extra cash to just buy a turbo (600+), tune/chip (300+), and labor (if you're paying for it at all), why not use that grand or so on supporting mods/suspension/tires+rims or something useful?

You need to prioritize IMO. It's not a personal attack either, just constructive criticism.
I hear you, and I am not taking anything personal :thumbs up I asked for advice and you're giving it.

But I'm getting a check for ~$12k from an insurance settlement. I just want to get use to boost on the cheap setup, before I decide that's the route I wanna go.

Str8Boostin

Sleeper
I hear you, and I am not taking anything personal :thumbs up I asked for advice and you're giving it.

But I'm getting a check for ~$12k from an insurance settlement. I just want to get use to boost on the cheap setup, before I decide that's the route I wanna go.
Good deal, I'm not used to this forum...some consist of nothing but smack talk all day whereas others forbid the use of the word ass and so forth.

Maybe someone from the forum has a boosted Teg nearby where you live? Get together and ride-along/etc.

Boost is fun, I mean unless I'm driving an LSX V8 engine or something of that nature, I'll never go N/A.

PS The Celica in my sig is N/A, guess what? It still has a full tank of gas because I never drive it.

hgocasca

level 77 troll
I drove the newer style one

With a 3s-gte swap from Japan.

Drove that Sunday night, I'm hooked on boost now, I can't stop thinking about it

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
I warned you about boost :lol: and I'm an addict from driving a dodge sprinter and my brothers passat xD

Str8Boostin

Sleeper
3S-GTE's are very common and it's for good reason, they're nice stout engines.

Even on the Spyder's, 3S-GTE's are much more popular as opposed to a 2ZZ swap (from the stock 1ZZ) since you've gotta take VVTL-i into consideration (watch those valves/valve springs!) and the power difference isn't much from the two.

I can't wait to go big turbo, pushing +550whp on a 2700lb car (full interior).