Neons footwell wiring question

Adriannyo

I was wondering if you could also throw in a dimmer switch on this just in case its to bright. I would like to keep the set up the same as it is now but allow me to dim the light to my liking.
I read that they may flicker if dimmed. Idk.

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
Yeah you'll be cutting off the switch that came with it. You'll have to look for the documentation for the neon's wiring. My omniscience has its limits.

If you had a multimeter I would suggest hooking the neons up to your battery and identify the wires. Harbor Freight has a coupon for a free multimeter with any purchase. I bought a $1 item to get an extra multimeter just for the hell of it. Or you could go to Sears and get the same $15 multimeter that I used for years as a pro installer.

Dimmers don't work on everything. If you wanted to try it you could replace the override switch with a dimmer.

The whole thing could be done in 30 mins on your first try. 5 hours is enough time to gather all the supplies, get drunk, sober up, take the wife and kid to a movie, come back and do the install. Sounds like my typical Saturday.

Last edited:

dekaf

pǝʇuɐɹb ɹoɟ buıɥʇou ǝʞɐʇ
You guys are good at electrical stuff. Good luck on project!

Adriannyo

Wow. Total fail... The only thing that worked was the switch's LED connected to the constant 12v on the fuse box. My 1AMP fuses kept breaking so I went and bought some 6.3AMP fuses. Still, my neons didn't work. While driving and having the switch on, I hear something shorting and crackling and something started smoking and it smelled burned. I give up. I'ma cut the door-open aspect of this project and just wire them to my accessory 12v and control it with a switch.

Adriannyo

Did you find a diagram for your neon wiring or did you just guess?
I just guessed...? Idk. I cut off my neon's rocker switch and molex. Put the only yellow wire and spliced it into the relay's 85. Then got the black wire coming directly from the inverter and put it into the switch's LOAD prong.

I don't think I'll be able to do all this so I think I'm just going to attach them to the accessory 12v and put a switch. Shouldn't be too hard. Pretty sure I won't need relays and diodes.

Last edited:

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
I just guessed...? Idk.
That's bad.

Put the only yellow wire and spliced it into the relay's 85.
I didn't tell you to do this.

I don't think I'll be able to do all this so I think I'm just going to attach them to the accessory 12v and put a switch. Shouldn't be too hard. Pretty sure I won't need relays and diodes.
The relay and diodes were required for the parking light feature. I'll go ahead and bench test this for peace of mind and post the result in a couple days.

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
Post up the wiring diagram for your neons when you get them.

I love this kind of electronics problem solving. I wish more people posted question like this.

stewy485

FlyingCaesar
bought my stuff today just waiting for the neons... I was wondering maybe you should post a DIY ik prozon will be interested cause he is setting a DIY forum up on here

Also I was wondering if you knew the part number on connector piece to the fuse box i would like to buy them cause there is only one junkyard here that has imports and all wiring harnesses have been stripped out...

Last edited:

Adriannyo

I did some rewriring and it STILL didn't work. =\ I hate this. -_-

/e This is why they didn't work

My inverter smells burned and it grew a pimple lol.

Last edited:

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
Right. I told you 85 goes to the white option output. But the neons power and your switch power need to be constant if they are to work with the door switch, so they go to the red option output. I think you got confused because I didn't draw a diagram of the power side. It's really too simple to warrant a diagram.

I don't understand exactly what you did but I'm pretty sure you hooked up your neons in reverse and fried them. Sorry man.

You can NEVER make assumptions about wiring. If you don't absolutely KNOW how to wire something, don't do it. I told you to get the diagram or get a multimeter and I could walk you through the steps. You got impatient. It's cool, we've all made that mistake. Count yourself lucky that you killed your neons and not something in your car. I kept that in mind when I was designing the circuit.

If you want to give it another shot, I'm totally willing to help you out. We can start with a simple setup first... just having it work with a switch and with the door switch. Then we can add on the parking light feature later. You'll have to get some more neons. Are you down?