Official DSLR Photography Thread

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
A tripod is a must with along with a low ISO to reduce noise. I was thinking more of post editing. Increasing the sharpness would define the edges of the rocks more and wouldn't that add to DOF? DOF is something new to me.

The slow shutter speed is a good thing with water photos, especially in this one cause if there were clouds in the sky it would increase the reflection and illusion of floating rocks.
Yes lower ISO increases the dynamic range so shooting at 100 or 200 would be better. Sharpening only makes transitional edges sharper, if something is blurred or out of focus it won't help.

Depth of field is the area in front of, and behind, the point of focus, that is still in acceptably sharp focus. If you use a larger aperture, as in f2, you are making that area smaller; so say you'll only have 1ft in front and behind your focal point in focus. Where if you shot at f8 you would have 15ft in front of and behind the focus point in focus.

f1.4, f2, f2.8, f4, f5.6, f8, f11, f16 etc
faster shutter speeds----------slower shutter speeds
less dof---------------------------more dof

Also your focal length and distance to the subject changes your DOF. If you are closer to the subject, your dof will lessen, same as if you use a longer focal length. If the subject is further away, or you are using a wide angle, there will be much more dof.

In the case of the rocks it looks like he was about 20ft away. So if we go with that, and his EXIF which says he was shooting at 55mm and f5.6, he would have about 10ft of distance where everything was in focus. If he shot at f11 that would increase to about 23ft.

Last edited:

Ryan659

Yes lower ISO increases the dynamic range so shooting at 100 or 200 would be better. Sharpening only makes transitional edges sharper, if something is blurred or out of focus it won't help.

Depth of field is the area in front of, and behind, the point of focus, that is still in acceptably sharp focus. If you use a larger aperture, as in f2, you are making that area smaller; so say you'll only have 1ft in front and behind your focal point in focus. Where if you shot at f8 you would have 15ft in front of and behind the focus point in focus.

f1.4, f2, f2.8, f4, f5.6, f8, f11, f16 etc
faster shutter speeds----------slower shutter speeds
less dof---------------------------more dof

Also your focal length and distance to the subject changes your DOF. If you are closer to the subject, your dof will lessen, same as if you use a longer focal length. If the subject is further away, or you are using a wide angle, there will be much more dof.

In the case of the rocks it looks like he was about 20ft away. So if we go with that, and his EXIF which says he was shooting at 55mm and f5.6, he would have about 10ft of distance where everything was in focus. If he shot at f11 that would increase to about 23ft.
Awwww, okay. Thanks a bunch :thumbs up

I'm so lost. I have so much to learn.
Go shoot more and mess around with aperature and shutter speeds. It'll make sense when you're out there. Reading it and not doing it makes it hard to understand. And buy a tripod

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I think the best thing to learn is shoot in manual. You'll have a hard time understanding how it all works together without using the controls in actual photography. Learn to read the exposure meter in your camera and set it to M.
It's all good. I'm a noob who knows nothing about my camera really. I don't think I've taken a half decent shot yet. Lol
I think the picture with the rocks had great composition, even with the blur it's a really cool photo.

Last edited:

treeafodo

Austin
I pretty much always shoot in full manual. Every picture I've posted is full manual.

R13

The other asshole
I've been watching DigitalRev TV on youtube, Some helpful info if you're trying to get familiar with your camera.

Sent from my toaster

treeafodo

Austin
I'll check them out. Thanks!

Is it normal for your exposure meter to be "off"? Like I said I've been shooting full manual and for my shots I've been trying to get it in the middle of the meter. But I keep getting feedback that it's too dark so my latest 2 pictures I put it considerably on the lighter side and still got the same feedback. Should I just ignore that meter and go brighter?

goofygamer

Sup CI! Great sets everyone. I love seeing everyone get better. I'm taking a break at work so here are some of the pictures I've taken during winter break. I've been straying away from cars and doing more landscape lately with Dillon (dopematic) and portraits. I'm planning on a car photoshoot of my buddy's BMW whenever I can. I'm using my quota time to access Flickr so you guys better like them! :

meANDmyDB7

actually has an FB6 now.
holy crap. those would make great wallpapers.

could you make them a bit bigger peara? so when i use one as a wallpaper, it wouldn't look so pixelated? hahaha

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Peara i have a boner for you right now.

Ive not taken any night shots in a while but i can gaurantee i would have a ton of noise in my photos. Ive improved in other areas and that is one i need to circle back to. Im so all over the place...

I'm so lost. I have so much to learn.
I dont know what youre talking about. I understood everything he said. :mrgreen:

Youtube is a fantastic resource cus it combines audio and visual examples outside of reading the endless tutorials you can also find. Reading to understand and then doing to practice, there is nothing greater than learn by doing.

whitedc4

i agree with the learn by doing.. it seems like no matter how much help i receive, i only get better when i try harder:/