Rattle Can Paint Job, Status- DONE

SleepWalker42o

I know imma get my chops busted all day n night about this. But i want to share and ask questions about this DIY.

I decided to do this because i bought 2 doors which are a differnt color than my car... which is black and im installing them today, its gonna kill me to drive around with different doors being differnt colors, so i decided ill rattle can this baby.

If i could afford to get a good paintjob, i would believe me. But sometimes you gotta do what cha gotta do. =D

I had a few questions also. . . what should i use to mask off windows? some say news paper, others plastic sheets, some even tape it all off with painters tape. Whats a good effective way. Also . . . is it even worth it to primer it or would white paint cover well if i sanded it well?

Thanks for the imput ahead of time. and please, give me shit about it =] Good morning.

mirrorimg

You will want to use a dark primer to cover the white easier w/o having to use as much paint.

You can use whatever you want to mask off the windows. You can use cardboard, plastic bags, newspaper, pages from books, anything. As long as its sealed up and doesnt let paint by, its fine. Some things are easier to take off than others obviously. Removing one peice of newspaper that is lined with painters tape is easier than peeling off 100 strips of tape (and less expensive).

This isnt a flat black rattle can job is it? You are going to clear the doors?

G3GirL

UUUHHHH-OOOOHHHHHHH...!!!
I know imma get my chops busted all day n night about this. But i want to share and ask questions about this DIY.

I decided to do this because i bought 2 doors which are a differnt color than my car... which is black and im installing them today, its gonna kill me to drive around with different doors being differnt colors, so i decided ill rattle can this baby.

If i could afford to get a good paintjob, i would believe me. But sometimes you gotta do what cha gotta do. =D

I had a few questions also. . . what should i use to mask off windows? some say news paper, others plastic sheets, some even tape it all off with painters tape. Whats a good effective way. Also . . . is it even worth it to primer it or would white paint cover well if i sanded it well?

Thanks for the imput ahead of time. and please, give me shit about it =] Good morning.
i wouldn't use newspaper. it's pretty thin. try a painter's paper and painter's tape. just make sure you mask it well and cover every nook and cranny to avoid overspray everywhere. sand, primer, shoot.

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
i have actually seen rattle can jobs that look legit... its all in the preparation and how you do it and your skill as a painter... you could just graffiti it

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Spend less money on weed. You'll have a beautiful car, you'll live longer, and your odds of getting arrested will drop dramatically.

Last edited:

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Hey about that how that come out is the paint still holding good? Im thinking bout going primer gray?
Paint's holding fine. I've bumped it quite a few times while working on the car w/out incident. The sanding and light clear coat is what makes the difference.

Granted, I don't drive the car around every day (or at all right now cuz it's out of a motor ATM) but the satin came out looking nice and it's about as durable as a normal paint job in terms of bumping it and hitting it and such.

SleepWalker42o

You will want to use a dark primer to cover the white easier w/o having to use as much paint.

You can use whatever you want to mask off the windows. You can use cardboard, plastic bags, newspaper, pages from books, anything. As long as its sealed up and doesnt let paint by, its fine. Some things are easier to take off than others obviously. Removing one peice of newspaper that is lined with painters tape is easier than peeling off 100 strips of tape (and less expensive).

This isnt a flat black rattle can job is it? You are going to clear the doors?
Yeah imma prime, paint then clear coat. Im going to TRY to be patient doing this.

getone of those triggers that snap on the can
Amen, more professional lol.

Are you just doing the doors, or the whole car?
I'm Doing The Whole Car. White at that. I did a rough sand 280 grit all around except bumpers, which im gonna remove to sand do body work. =] So far so good, and im excitteeedd.

i wouldn't use newspaper. it's pretty thin. try a painter's paper and painter's tape. just make sure you mask it well and cover every nook and cranny to avoid overspray everywhere. sand, primer, shoot.
Where can i get painters paper at? i was looking for like plastic sheets somewhere, similar to the saran{sp?} wrap on the stick for moving. But can't seem to find em . .

i have actually seen rattle can jobs that look legit... its all in the preparation and how you do it and your skill as a painter... you could just graffiti it
yeah, i've seen alot of good rattle cans =] this is the thread that inspired me, im happy to share.
http://www.ht-archive.com/showthread.php?t=2485978

Spend less money on weed. You'll have a beautiful car, you'll live longer, and your odds of getting arrested will drop dramatically.
Ehm. . . No comment. ^^^ This guy . . .:roll: