Should I buy an integra as my first car? I'm 16

Cobiispo

You don't want to buy a car that needs paint, costs way too much to have done properly, and unfortunately hardly any shops do it properly these days.

I started joyriding my dads cars when I was 12 while he was working or away, got my permit and first car at 15 from money I saved, and license at 16. I love absolutely love driving, and my pops was all about getting me a license as soon as he could, s*** he had me out practicing in the snow in his 350 Olds when I was 14 :lol: there's no way I'd have waited till I was 18. I've also never been in an "accident." Now I may have slid off some back roads here and there and broke some suspension or rims, BUT they were empty and I never pulled any stupid s*** with cars or people around, that was only cause I was driving with the WRC mentality :)

So dude definitely get your license and car as soon as you can. Find a list of cars that you like how they look and are in your price range and go from there. If you're tight on cash and don't have a skilled mechanic in the house, stay away from the Euros, great cars but they need maintenance and can get technical. Old cars are usually a pain, even with low miles they have problems with things that just weren't designed as well back then. Try picking up an import from the last 10years and you'll be ok, plus learning to drive manual is more engaging and will make you a better driving so I'd recommend that route.
Now that I think of savings, I wish I'd saved more money when I was younger. And I was planning on bows becuase they're pretty cheap on craigslist and they still look pretty neat but I'm afraid I need to pay a lot just for an oil change or something,

So I watched a video of an integra that's pretty plain with nice wheels and stickers. And people say it's cheap and shitty and worthless. And that's what I was planning on for my car. Now I don't feel like buying this because I just want it white and nice wheels and maybe engine upgrades. But I don't really want to race with other cars like when driving on the freeway. And I also don't want to be called out as a ricer or a noob at cars or a try hard that has a nice car but can't even go faster than a van . Should I still pick this? I thought this car would be great because it's better than those old civics I see everywhere but if I get just a stock car in mint condition would I get laughed at? I feel like muscle cars would be better because it looks good stock and seems powerful like any mustang or camaro out there. What do you think?

Ryan659

Get what you think looks good. Not what other people think look cool. There will always be haters, especially when you buy a honda. Most of it is from mustang owner fags so fuck them. They just hate it when a 1.8 litter engine beats there 5.0L "muscle" car.

R13

The other asshole
Cole and Joe's cars are what made silver sexy, Then everyone showed up with lame ass stock LS's. :lol:

Yeah OP, Get a DB (4 door integra) and go that route, As Cole used to say "4 doors, More whores" :mrgreen:

Ryan659

And you don't need a powerful car being 16. It's already scary enough to think another teen will be driving on the street :lol: ;) jk man

MiketheDyke

My job is clean toilets
Get the Integra. I had one when I was 16 and man, I thought it was fast! Lol. Then I gained more experience and then realized it was pretty slow lol.

But just get a teg and make it the way you want. Fuck the haters. It's your pride and joy!

themiller13

My flickr account is being a d1ck and won't let me sign in to post photos.

But OP I started in a v8 98 lexus ls400 and crashed it at 16. I was stupid and deserved it. I then went into a 97 4 door GS autotragic at 17. I modded out the suspension, did basic bolt ons I/H/E, sound system and it was a fun car for two years. But I've always wanted more. So I upped myself into a 98 GSR that was previously modded 3 months ago. I picked it up on the cheap only because I had the know how, resources, and money to put into it to get it back to acceptable quality. I wouldn't trade the GSR now for the world.

Its my favorite car I've driven (I've had my hands into a variety of vehicles from friends and family), possibly because of all of the work I did and the sense of accomplishment to go with it, but also its just a better driving experience. I would recommend if you want a performance oriented FF car then go with the GSR. If you want a commuter car but like the Integra lines, you can nicely mod an LS/GS/RS but it won't be anywhere near as racecar with out a boat load of money.

So it all goes back to what you want. Yes they're a great first car, especially if you want to step into the tuning (read: expensive) world. But we can't tell you what you want, we can only make recommendations from your preferences.

Here's the account if you want to browse Clicky Also in there you can see proof as to why you don't want to buy someone else's modded car if you don't want a project.

Pics if the GSR before and after from my phone

In hind sight I could have saved all the money I spent into this car and bought one at the same level it is now. But I like doing the work, and I'd still have chosen the Integra over something else. Especially the GSR. VTEC YO

Last edited:

Cobiispo

Okay, integras are better looking than accords and civics lol. I just want to make it shiny white and a carbon fiber hood lol i don't know, too much gta haha. Hopefully I'll have a good time with a teg. Thanks guys! I'll come back when I see a decent car haha

1991tegra

Da9 apprentice
i lucked out and got a da9 with 2 owners both over 40 and second guy was a mechanic and swapped in a b18b other than that its all stock, try to get a da9 those are sexy cars and just like mike said dont buy a modified car unless u want a project car intentionally and cant find anything else.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Says this guy :lol:

OP the Integra is a fantastic car, especially the 3rd gens. If you get a stock gsr it'll be faster than most "muscle cars" of its same years, and look/fit and finish will be a million times better as well as reliability. I honestly can't think of many cars that drive as well or are as much fun as a 3rd gen integra... Except a Miata but you ruled that out :lol: