Teggykid Log

Teggykid952

Hey guys. I'm having motor issues. It's was being really boggy and exceptionally slow on the low end. It was taking me forever to hit 70 on the interstate without flooring it. Tried new fuel filter and o2 sensor, neither solved the problem. Ran a compression test, came out at about an average 120psi across, which is horrible I'm sure you know. My dad's buddy Juice was over, he works on a lot of cars, drag cars included, so he has some experience. I had to go get some new clothes for school but they messed around on it when I was gone. He ended up telling him to take it to a friend's shop in Montgomery to look at it. I think it might have blown the head gasket? Or bad piston rings? The plugs are all getting spark and the distributor too. Any advice?

Teggykid952

Alright well we took the car to a buddy's place. He builds turbo set ups and works on a lot of import motors. His store is called Auto Works and his website is go-autoworks.com. He said from what it sounds and acts like, it's probably a bent valve. But it also has low compression on top of that, and a lot of miles. Right now we are considering ordering 96-98 spec B20B from HMO. He knows the guy, Steve, well and I have heard nothing but good from them. If I go this route I'll probably end up tearing down my old motor and rebuilding it. I might throw a 5-speed tranny on it too so I can do my auto->manual swap. We aren't set on this yet, but right now it's looking like the best option. Probably going to have to sell my speakers and amps to pay for it, but it'll be alright. I'd rather be able to drive than listen to music any day.

Teggykid952

It's definitely been a while, but honestly nothing has happened. My car has been sitting for the past week and a couple days.

Great news is my dad ordered the new B20! He ordered it about a week ago so it should be in sometime this week. I can't wait! Old motor is going to be rebuilt and he is thinking about putting it in his own car. I think he's looking at a CRX right now, I'm not sure. But that's about the only update until I get the new motor. I'm going to clean up the garage today and pull the hood, fenders, and front bumper off and also get the axles out and drain all the fluids. We are hoping that by the time the motor gets here all we will have to do is swap the OBD1 stuff on to the B20 and drop it right in. I'm hoping I can sell my old trombone I used to play to buy a tranny. I think he found one for sale. So best scenario is the new motor goes in and I get to do my 5 speed swap at the same time. Really excited about this coming up week! I'll keep you guys posted!

Teggykid952

Well we got started on getting everything out of the way. The header, radiator, wiring harness, battery and tray, intake, radiator hoses, strut bar, AC compressor, (I think) power steering, and some other stuff were unbolted and either removed or just pushed to the side.

Anyone have any good advice on pulling motors? Basically right now we are just taking off/placing aside anything that looks like it's going to be in the way. Anything that might now be obvious that you guys have in mind? We haven't been under the car because the cardboard is soaked with coolant, haha. That crap makes a real mess.

Teggykid952

Went to Nick's house and picked up the engine hoist today. Didn't really do much to the car. Took the axles out, that was it. Got to pick up a chain so we can get the motor out. Probably going to try to knock that out tomorrow. Also picking up an engine stand. Anyone have any experience with Harbor Freight stands?

Teggykid952

Alright well good news! The motor is out! Had to take a couple more things like the tranny cable and motor mounts out but it's finally done. Now that it is though I have a couple questions. Since everything is out we are going to clean the bay up. My question is is what can I get rid of? We don't have emissions in Alabama so anything to do with that I think can go if it does not serve any other purpose. But is there anything else? I'm keeping power steering, ABS, and A/C so no those, but anything I could do the de-clutterize would be awesome. Thanks guys!

The last pic, what are those? I know they have to do with vacuum (at least I think so) but can I get rid of any of it? The guy at go-autoworks (I believe) said we could get rid of some of the vacuum lines.

Teggykid952

Well a good bit accomplished today. Lets see if I can remember it all.

The other day we pushed the car out back and washed it.

Then today we took the tranny off and cleaned it.

We also painted my IM and exhaust black. IM is wrinkle like the VC and exhaust is flat black.

Also painted the cross members, the battery tray bracket, and other various parts.

Teggykid952

That wasn't actually all of it, I was just in a hurry to post that because I was leaving. We also re-loomed the wiring harness, went to pull-a-part and got a new piece for the tranny (I forgot what it's called, it's for the speedometer), and some other things, but I honestly forgot what they were. Motor is going to be in on Monday!

Teggykid952

I'm really having trouble remembering all the little things we do throughout the day, haha. We started re-looming a lot more of the harness, we semi-tucked a lot of my HID and headlight wiring harnesses, painted the tranny, starter, battery tray, and the top of the radiator because the paint came off when we pressure washed it one time.

Teggykid952

Alright well the flywheel came off easy.

While I was at school my dad went and picked up the motor. He took off the IM, header, fuel rail, injectors, the wiring that was one there, the dizzy, and whatever else wasn't needed.

When I got home we started putting some of the stuff back on the motor. Header probably isn't going to stay on when we drop the motor back in, I just wanted to see what it looked like on the motor.

Plug missing?

Couple more pics. Moved the motor off the trailer and next to the car.

If you guys see anything you want to buy, feel free to ask. I have an OBD1 dizzy, alternator, header with heat shield, power steering pump, and maybe something else, I'll have to look. I'm pretty sure the IM is pretty useless.

Teggykid952

Alright well we dropped the motor in today. Didn't really hook anything else up, just dropped it in. Alternator and one or two other things are going in tomorrow. Here's a couple pics! You can't really see the clean block now, but then again I'm in the garage so the lighting kinda sucks.

Teggykid952

Well she's all back together and running! *Sort of...*

Still having some of the same idling problems I was before. Like a lumpy idle, and when I put it in drive and hit the gas it sounds like it's skipping (piston's not firing). Replacing the igniter in the distributor tomorrow to see if that fixes it. Is it the same as the one that was on my 96-98 spec B20B? Does the ODB difference change anything? Anyways, here are a couple pics!

Teggykid952

Here's an engine bay before and after just to see the awesome difference. I'm taking this one from the very beginning, haha.

Still have to get a new hose from the VC to the intake, and get that thing on the fuel rail in a different color. Probably doing the header in the wrap stuff because we got some from a friend.

Teggykid952

Fixed the problem. We tried all new dizzy parts, but that didn't fix it. Got tired, so we took it to a shop a neighbor recommended. Turns out the injectors were pretty nasty. She runs great! Best she's ever ran. Too bad the torque converter wastes my extra 10ft/lbs of torque haha

Teggykid952

Yeah it would be fun to take it to the track! And it's not incredibly far away.

Got a wee little update, nothing much really:

Well car's been running great! Motor hasn't given me any problems and everything is working mostly fine. My AC squeals a little, just haven't gotten around to tightening it up yet. Let's see, rear end still makes loud rattling noise when decelerating around 45-50mph, rear springs squeaking (grease should fit it), radio and speakers not in yet (need some Dynamat), oh and still have to get the camber kit done. Unfortunately I'm down to my last $18 or so, and no job. Looking like I might be able to land a job at Orielly's though, keeping my fingers crossed! Though I am getting my windows tinted by an old co-worker of my dad's at CKR. Going with 32% to stay legal.

Some pics this weekend when the tint is on!