TPS Issue I think

miahwood27

JDMDANUT
Ok, I know I have a DA9 and I should post in there but I have a 94 JDM B18C swap so I am posting here because I believe I will get better answers here. I have a chiltons manual for the car and in it it tells me how to test my TPS. ( The book is for 94-01 Integras ) .... It says to locate the return wire from the TPS and probe it using a multimeter. It also says to turn the key to the on position but do not turn the vehicle on. Now at idle it should be around .2 to 1.4 Volts and at WOT it should be around 4.8 Volts. Now I found the return line and tested it but here's my problem. When its at idle the meter reads 4. something and at WOT it reads .23 .... Now I'm not sure if I'm using the correct option on my multimeter or not. I am not good with wiring diagrams nor am I good with finding/fixing electrical issues. Now my question is, is my TPS bad because its reading backwards or am I just being an idiot and not doing the test right? The reason I am testing it is while I am driving normal at around 2K RPM the throttle drops off then suddenly comes back and it does this on a regular basis. When I get into it driving like a race car driver it never does it. Please someone help me with this issue!! I have cleaned out the IACV and cleaned all of my electrical components with the appropriate cleaners to no avail!

Thanks!!

mjones73

You should have your multimeter set to DC, whatever the next voltage over 5 volts is. Ground the black connector to the engine, put the red on the return wire.

miahwood27

JDMDANUT
Thats actually how i had it set. The option my my multimeter was DCV or battery load test. I chose DCV and those were the results I got. They are opposite of what the book says the readings should be. Is the book wrong? lol

Thanks Mjones

miahwood27

JDMDANUT
Yup that was the one I tested. I actually had a broken clip on the pigtail so I replaced it with one that was similar and lengthened the wire. While I had bare wire I tried each wire and the red wire in the center was the only one that changed voltage when I moved the throttle cable. I got the pigtail from a DA I'm not sure what it went to but it was exactly the same as the broken one I had. 3 prong and the same shape. I was told that any one would do as long as it was 3-wire and the same shape. I made sure to connect the wires correctly by doing them one at a time when I made it longer. I am going to purchase a new TPS and see if that fixes my issues. If not then I have a buddy who is great with wire diagrams and maybe he can help me with making sure there is nothing missing. I will take a picture of my TPS and show you what I am working with..

Thanks