Tree's...Roadster?

treeafodo

Austin
Who wants a piece of crap LS?

Went to install the cam bearings. Pulled the engine off the stand and cleaned both the journals and the bearings really well.
Junk by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

Put the cam bearings in. They went in really nice. The cam disagreed with the bearings and decided not to spin freely. Took the cam out and all the bearings. Now the block has a few marks in the journals. I'm super confused as everything was super clean.

Stupid engine. Nothing goes right. Placed it on a dolley, put it in the corner and humiliated it. Never gave the finger to anyone or anything before, but whatever.
Have to send it out to get it align honed now since the school doesn't have it. Who knows when I'll get it back. Only have 1 week of school after this one.. Hopefully that fixes it. If not I'm getting rid of this.

Then I went to the US after school and got new junk for the old junk.
New Junk by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

treeafodo

Austin
Showed up to school today to see that my block was back!
The cam journals were honed and are now smooth all the way around. I don't want to say they're fixed quite yet, because I still have to install the cam bearings as well as the cam tomorrow. My fingers are crossed!
Cam Journals Align Honed by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

I also completely forgot about honing the block. Maybe the cam bearing issue was a way to remind me to hone it? It's not a fancy automatic honing machine, but if you're careful and do your measurements frequently it'll work out in the end.
Honing by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

The bore on the left is one after the hone and the right is before. I used a 500 stone since all I wanted to do was remove the glaze and leave a nice crosshatch finish to help the rings set. There's still some honing oil in the bore so that's what that line is.
by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

Bore measured exactly to 3.898 (stock size). No wear at all. :D

I did the same thing for the remaining 7 bores and then put it in the parts washer...again.

After the washer was done I dried it off, oiled the bores and cleaned all the bearing journals in preparation for tomorrow. I'm really, really, really hoping the cam bearings and cam go in with no hassles.
Clean by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

treeafodo

Austin
Hope everything is smooth sailing from here on out!
Thanks man! I hope so!

Positive Progress has been made!:bouncin:

Cam bearings in!
Cam Bearings Installed by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

About to install the cam to make sure it spins freely.
Comp Cams Billet Cam by Austin Rajki, on Flickr
Cam Fits and Spins! by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

IT SPINS FREELY! :D Now that the cam fits nicely I removed it, cleaned the main and cam journals again, installed the bearings and lubed them up for final assembly.
Final Assembly by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

With everything lubed up I installed the main caps and prepped the bolts with ARP assembly lube. I used gasket maker for the side main bolts as well as a little bit of assembly lube.
Final Assembly by Austin Rajki, on Flickr
ARP Assembly Lube by Austin Rajki, on Flickr
Sealant on the Side Cap Bolts by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

Now that the crank bolts are prepped I torqued everything down to spec and started to lube and install the cam. I used assembly lube where the cam rides on the bearings and moly lube on the lobes. I didn't go quite as heavy as it looks in the picture.
Lubing up the Cam by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

Cleaned the retainer
face
Clean Retainer Face by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

Installed my new cam thurst plate and bolts. Torqued to spec of course ;)
New Cam Retainer Installed by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

Progress has been made!
Crank and Cam In by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

The last thing I did was to pull the timing gear/oil pump drive off the crank and press the new one on.
Pulling Timing Gear/ Oil Pump Drive by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

New one is on the crank, old one is in my hand
New Gear Installed by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

And i rigged up this contraption to make sure the cam doesn't slide out the back of the engine while the rear cover is off.
Ghetto Cam Retainer by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

treeafodo

Austin
The 1.6 finally sold. Here is Lexy with her old heart for the last time. It's a good thing I'm not a doctor.
Goodbye 1.6 by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

The garage is a disaster. I've been helping my dad build a shed for out at the campground so all that material is in there until the weekend. We also picked up new doors to do body work on his truck. There's no room in the garage at the moment to work on the car.

In other news- Now that my parents know about the LS1 and all my plans for this build my dad is suddenly on board with this build. :D

R13

The other asshole
You kept an expensive ass ls1 secret from your parents all this time? :lol:

treeafodo

Austin
You kept an expensive ass ls1 secret from your parents all this time? :lol:
You betcha! I bought the engine just outside of Detroit, loaded it into the back of the Integra and brought it directly to school. I only brought the parts in the house when they weren't home to take pictures of them then brought them to school.

I slipped at dinner one day last week. I said something like "Cool, now that I have $100 from selling some parts I can afford one injector. My dad said "Don't you want an engine first?"
"It's at school. I have an LS1"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

treeafodo

Austin
Woke up super early today and went to school 4 hours before my class started. I was able to get quite a bit of machine work done on the heads.
Since time was short I didn't take a lot of pictures until after the machine work was done. The heads were set up on this machine and the valve seats were freshly cut.
Cutting Valve Seats by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

After the seats were cut I threw them in the parts washer. My friend approves.
Washing after Cutting Seats by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

Now that the heads are clean I can start lapping and inking valves not only to wear them into their new seats, but to also check that everything is straight and done correctly.
Valve Lapping by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

I lapped each valve with 2 different grit lapping compounds
Valve Lapping Cream by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

Seats inked to see where the valve sits.
Seats Marked by Austin Rajki, on Flickr
Lapping by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

Terrible picture, but you can see where the ink is missing. That is where the valve face contacts the seat. It's perfect.
Perfect by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

The valve face contact is also perfect!
Perfect by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

I marked each valve into which cylinder it now belongs to and placed that head in the wash for the final time.
Look how clean it is!
Glistening in the Sun by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

This head is now ready for final assembly.
Ready for Assembly by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

I finished all the intake valves on the other head, just need to do exhaust valves tomorrow.