Tree's...Roadster?

treeafodo

Austin
11-07-2014

I was hoping to have everything done so I can have the engine out tomorrow after school. I was trying to squeeze as much work in as possible on the car, but of course you run into set backs. Everything is undone now except the mounts and the darn exhaust. One of the 2 previous owners had new sections welded in ( new cat, and muffler for sure). There's a U-bolt that is on, but the slip joint is welded! Completely defeats the purpose of that U-bolt! I was going to remove the bracket that holds the exhaust to the bell housing, but one bolt head is rounded a bit. I'd rather leave it until it's out of the car to prevent it from rounding any more. I'm going to see if I can borrow an angle grinder with a cut off wheel from school to cut the stupid exhaust out because I can't think of any other way of getting it undone.

Oh and to summarize the drivetrain:
Meme by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

No "fancy" pictures today. Just iPhone 4s pictures/screenshots
Today was a pretty fun day. I bought the airbag to school and blew it up with some friends. We blew it up bagside-down.
Boom by Austin Rajki, on Flickr
A friend of mine lent me a diegrinder with a cut off wheel so I could remove the exhaust.
Cutting Off Exhaust by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

I also removed the driveshaft and both heat shields on the car to find no rust under them :mrgreen:
Removed by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

Everything is now ready for the engine to come out. I was hoping my Dad wasn't busy tonight so he could help guide me, but he had sidejobs planned. So I'm just waiting for a day when were both free so we can guide it out of the car.

treeafodo

Austin
11-10-2014

I picked a few things up today. Grease and snap ring pliers to depower the steering rack.
New Purchases by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

So much oil.... :smile1:
Oil Leaks by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

Rack out.
Rack Removed by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

I gave the subframe crossmember a quick wipe down. There is so much dirt under the car.
Cleaner Subframe by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

I also gave the rack a quick cleaning to help reduce the chance of dirt getting inside it. It's still pretty dirty, but a huge improvement. (Look back to when I looped it). I went to remove the lock ring off the rack only to find I don't have a wrench or adjustable big enough at home. I'll bring it to school one day this week to do it.
Cleaner Rack by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

I wasn't quite ready to stop working on the car yet, so I just did some quick cleaning. Nothing drastic, but progress is progress. The more I clean this car the dirtier it feels.
Dirty by Austin Rajki, on Flickr
Slightly Cleaner by Austin Rajki, on Flickr
Dirty by Austin Rajki, on Flickr
Slightly Cleaner by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

Oh and I also bought an auto darkening welding helmet and a set of gloves. Why you might ask? I'm pricing out and researching to possibly purchase a TIG welder. :phillyb:
Welding Stuffs by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

treeafodo

Austin
11-12-2014

Speaking of steering racks I brought mine to school today to depower.
Disassembled by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

The seal to be cut
Ready Cut the Seal by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

Weight Reduction
Seal Removed by Austin Rajki, on Flickr
Parts by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

Greasing everything up and reassembling.
Lubed Up by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

Reassembled with everything torqued to OEM spec. ;)
Assembled by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

I removed the lines and crimped them shut for the mean time. I will be buying the MiataRoadster plugging kit for some bling factor. Also to remove the super sharp ends. haha
Lines Cut and Crimped by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

Then I reinstalled the rack in the car.

treeafodo

Austin
11-18-2014

Not a whole lot of progress.

This is that random bracket I was talking about earlier. It was held on by one very loose nut on the starter. I removed it since it was just flopping around anyways.
Random Bracket by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

Today I bought 10 lbs of this
Dry Ice by Austin Rajki, on Flickr
Dry Ice by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

To remove this
Sound Deadning by Austin Rajki, on Flickr
Sound Deadning by Austin Rajki, on Flickr
Apply by Austin Rajki, on Flickr
Apply by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

If you're wondering, I did turn the Hobo around as well as undoing the fuel lines, removing the PPF and motor mount bolts. Psulja is coming over tomorrow morning to help me guide the engine and tranny out. My dad was going to help me, but ended up hurting his back at work. :( Loading the cherry picker in and out of the truck by myself was NOT fun...
Ready for the Morning by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

treeafodo

Austin
11-18-2014

When Paul arrived this morning we chained the engine to the cherry picker and pulled it out. Took about 10-15 minutes total. Engine was out by 8:06 am. Huge shoutout to him for the help! :icon_cheers:

Remember when I posted this?
Oh and to summarize the drivetrain:
Meme by Austin Rajki, on Flickr
Well it's covered.
Oily Trans by Austin Rajki, on Flickr
Finally Removed by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

Now that the engine is out I have more stuff to clean.
Empty Bay by Austin Rajki, on Flickr
Empty Bay by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

I seperated the tranny and the engine and gave the transmission a quick clean to remove most of the grease.
On my way to school today I picked this up. One day I will be buying car parts rather than tools. I swear.
Engine Stand by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

Ganyon

The frame didn't seem too bad. Maybe it'd be cheaper to put it on a frame puller?

Ryan659

Nice to see some narrative behind all the pics I've been seeing on your Flickr account :)

Looks good dude and awesome work so far.

treeafodo

Austin
Charly[horse];1367335 said:
No offense but that car looked rough, your doing some good work to it though
This is one of the cleaner examples that I was finding. It's been cleaning up pretty nicely.

The frame didn't seem too bad. Maybe it'd be cheaper to put it on a frame puller?
I plan on tracking it a lot. Just knowing that the damage is there and that the area is compromised would drive me crazy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

R13

The other asshole
Ho ree shiet :shock:

Good work so far :thumbs up

Sadly being that I live down here in the TN/VA area I can say that just about every car pre 2000 looks like that, People rear end people 100 times a day...

VA also has some really rural roads so the cars just get filled full of filth and no one cleans it up.

treeafodo

Austin
Pictures do no justice showing just how dirty this car actually was. It smelled so bad. When I first found the damage I was ready to throw the car out, but seeing it clean up is opening my eye to the potential.

The 100 miles I put on the car was the most fun I've ever had in a car. I beat on it. Looking back I was so stupid. I was drifting it, driving through the twisties way too quickly, doing 110 mph in a 100kph (60mph zone) all with the Teg plates on it. I brought it to a local car meet as well and did a huge burnout with it. LSD for the win :D I guess I figured I had all this fun in it already, I'm not going to give up on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

treeafodo

Austin
Surprisingly, I didn't notice any lifter tick.

I will be ordering the Garage Star seat rails for sure. Just want to take care of the tube front first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

treeafodo

Austin
Today was the first time I touched the car since the last update. My Grandpa suddenly passed away on the 20th so my family was very busy with funeral related events and emptying out his apartment. Family stuff>cars.

In other news, I BOUGHT A CAR PART! After work yesterday I ordered a custom set of Revlimiter gauges for the Sharksgiving sale. I won't be posting any teasers for them, only Adam and I know what they'll look like. Hopefully they turn out as good as I think they will. To top it off this afternoon I took a break from studying to check my email only to see that I have an email from Adam and a Paypal refund. I was the lucky order of the day to get the gauges for free! Super excited about that!

With today being the first day back wrenching on the car, I had quite a bit to do. I returned the cherry picker to the shop, took the tires off the rims and switched them for the Integra tires. Now my Integra has new tires for the winter.
Wheels Removed by Austin Rajki, on Flickr
I also put the engine to the side. I decided not to use the engine stand for the 1.6. I'm going to save it for the engine I will be getting shortly.
Engine Put Aside by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

I'm sure some of you guys have noticed that my white balance is all over the place during this build. The lighting in the garage is a mix of florescent, incandescent and natural light. Getting proper white balance is tricky, even with some post work.

After the tires were switched over and the cherry picker returned I reinstalled the wheels on the car and started to remove the wiring harness.
Wiring Undone by Austin Rajki, on Flickr
Wiring pulled through by Austin Rajki, on Flickr
No More Wiring by Austin Rajki, on Flickr