would a lightweight flywheel be beneficial???

dateg88

I just recently bought a 11 lb lite weight fly wheel for my car. I have the jdm b18c gsr spec motor and was wondering if this would be a good bolt on. Also has anyone ever heard of taking the internal butterflies out of the intake manifold to gain power???

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
a 11lb flywheel will be a good addition, taking the secondaries out is not if your car is a daily driver as it takes away torque

dateg88

a 11lb flywheel will be a good addition, taking the secondaries out is not if your car is a daily driver as it takes away torque
Its not my DD I only take it out to the local areas on the weekend but wat would removing those secondaries do power wise gains losses?

rybread761

Yeah, it really facks your tourque curve up big time. Our motors arnt really big on the tourque end. You better gets the revs up a ton before you let the clutch out...you know, for the times you gotta get on it. My buddy put something close to that on his hopped up CRX. It destroyed his quarter time, and I am talking about a high 10 second CRX.

dateg88

Yeah, it really facks your tourque curve up big time. Our motors arnt really big on the tourque end. You better gets the revs up a ton before you let the clutch out...you know, for the times you gotta get on it. My buddy put something close to that on his hopped up CRX. It destroyed his quarter time, and I am talking about a high 10 second CRX.
Hold on the secondaries messed up his 1/4 or the flywheel? ???

Rich-PMS

Lightweight flywheels are only beneficial if you know how to revmatch and do so often.

I LOVE my lightweight flywheel.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
how does a lightened flywheel mess up your quarter mile times? it should improve them as it revs up higher...he peobably wasnt used to the revs dropping as fast

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
What do you mean by rev match?? And what did you gain from your flywheel
flywheels only allow you to rev up quicker because its lighter but it cant sustain its revs when the clutch is pushed in. rev matching is a way of downshifting while raising the revs to where they need to be for a seemless transition from gear to gear

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
If its a boosted car it will help you fall out of boost juas as fast as it makes you rev. I don't care how fast you think you can shift, you'll still drop RPM's quicker with a lightweight flywheel then you would with a stock weight one. They aren't reccomended for turbo setups, I would almost bet that the guy with 10 sec crx is running boost. I personally am not a fan of lightweight flywheels, but to each their own

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
If its a boosted car it will help you fall out of boost juas as fast as it makes you rev. I don't care how fast you think you can shift, you'll still drop RPM's quicker with a lightweight flywheel then you would with a stock weight one. They aren't reccomended for turbo setups, I would almost bet that the guy with 10 sec crx is running boost. I personally am not a fan of lightweight flywheels, but to each their own
oooh i didnt think of it getting out of boost :thumbs up