Lowering Springs Q&A

McNasty621

Hello fellow teggies! Ive come to you for some more advice. I recently started to put some mods on my 99 LS and my next step is to lower her down. Now I'm married and a father, which means I'm working on a budget. I've been looking on eBay and I've seen quite a few for a cheap price($58-75) for a set of 4. Now I want to get some feedback on this before I buy. I know there has to be a few of you out there that have some of these eBay lowering springs and I would like to know your opinion of them. Thank you for your time!

JGvtec

Im in the same boat you are except i am not going eBay. Im debating getting the $135 springs off CI shop. I just worry that i will blow my stock struts.

If i was you i would just get a brand name spring.

krisx13

Schweet.
I had some, they sucked (they sat on stock struts so that's probably why)...maybe if you paired them with adjustable struts it would be better. try looking into some eibach prokits or something

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
Jordan I told you to let me know what you need and I'd get you it, I am always lower in those prices for a friend lol.

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
PLEASE don't buy ebay parts... If you want just lowering springs, hands down the best option for you is Tein S Tech lowering springs. designed to work on stock shocks, had mine for several months and 6k miles on stock shocks and havent had an issue yet. Other brand lowering springs are not designed to work with stock shocks, so you end up blowing them out sooner, at which point you may as well buy full coilovers in the first place.

hope this helps :)

mjones73

Basically going more then an inch on the stock struts will beat the crap out of them and you'll end up blowing them...

Kyle

Eibach makes some great springs and H&R are good as well. I'd save up and upgrade your struts while your at it. I was in the same boat when I was doing my Civic a few years back. In the end I decided to do it right the first time and upgrade my struts with my springs. Afterall, if you blow a OEM strut you'll have to take it apart and redo it again (and might blow another). Tokico HPs are like $400 and springs about $200ish. With a Prokit you might be able to get away with OEM struts because its such a mild drop. But with Sportlines you'll need new struts.

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Basically going more then an inch on the stock struts will beat the crap out of them and you'll end up blowing them...
Depends on what you use. Mine dropped me about 2-3 inches and I havent had any issues.
Eibach makes some great springs and H&R are good as well. I'd save up and upgrade your struts while your at it. I was in the same boat when I was doing my Civic a few years back. In the end I decided to do it right the first time and upgrade my struts with my springs. Afterall, if you blow a OEM strut you'll have to take it apart and redo it again (and might blow another). Tokico HPs are like $400 and springs about $200ish. With a Prokit you might be able to get away with OEM struts because its such a mild drop. But with Sportlines you'll need new struts.
For $600 you'd pay you may as well look at full coilovers. Don't get me wrong, Eibach and H&R are good quality parts, but they won't last very long on factory parts, because they are not designed to do so.

McNasty621

Thanks for the insight! I found a nice set of Skunk2 struts with coilovers for $579. I think ima go with those. The only thing I don't really like about them is the red springs. Wouldnt go with my green teg. I've got some time to save and do some research before I'm ready to buy. Got my cat and exhaust to install in two weeks, excited about that. I'll keep u all posted.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Thanks for the insight! I found a nice set of Skunk2 struts with coilovers for $579. I think ima go with those. The only thing I don't really like about them is the red springs. Wouldnt go with my green teg. I've got some time to save and do some research before I'm ready to buy. Got my cat and exhaust to install in two weeks, excited about that. I'll keep u all posted.
you wont see your springs, i have red springs and i never see them on my green car. Make sure you align the spindles and stuff when you do it. Lowering springs are a bitch to install. they are harder than coilovers

Kyle

Depends on what you use. Mine dropped me about 2-3 inches and I havent had any issues.

For $600 you'd pay you may as well look at full coilovers. Don't get me wrong, Eibach and H&R are good quality parts, but they won't last very long on factory parts, because they are not designed to do so.
But does he need full coilovers? Seems pointless to me to buy coilovers if you set your ride height once and never touch it again. I bought full coilovers cause I need the ability to raise my car for winter driving. Skunk2 springs I have heard are SUPER stiff, go with something that has less aggressive spring rates. Neuspeed also makes springs, but idk how the quality of them is.

McNasty621

How about mix matching shocks and springs. Skunk2 shocks and goin with some Tein S tech springs? Seems like a pretty good set up. Just using this a daily driver that I want to have a nice clean smooth look.

1qikteg

just get Function and Form type 1s and you will be happy. call it a day. instead of trying to mix and match.

cheapest thing is tokico blues 300 bucks and 150 springs(probably cheaper just shop around).. but for 100 bucks more you get full coilovers