91 teg suggestions

graveyardhippie

i'ma try to stay on here often this time around. picked up a 91 body fer free. i think the only part i'm really needing for the body is a crossmember that goes under where the motor would be, but i'm semi newbie at g2's. also, no rush on getting it right, so how much of a pain is it to put in a motor newer than 91? i know some things changed in 92, (obd1 maybe) not sure what else. i was debating on boosting an ls, but knowing me, i'm better off planning on just putting a decent power plant in it, and one day in the distant future, a snail may end up under the hood. any motor that preforms quite well in this gen? and does anyone know what the k swap does in this in the 1/4? thanks guys! also, i'll try to get pix of it as is for now.

94dc4

My name matches again lol
All the B-series engines should directly drop in just fine. As far as going obd1, all it requires is a couple sensor and wiring changes and an ecu.

Not sure about how fast the K-series makes this car, but my buddy wants to build up an H22 and put it in his. Says it can make more horsepower and be way cheaper, if done right.

evilminion88

I ate the bones
Well the DA tegs are slightly heaveir and bulkier than thier DC5 decendants so DAs have never been looked to for extreme performance or record breaking goals. Old skoo JDM stlying is what they're known for these days now. Like 94dc4 mentioned, any B-series engine will work, no matter what year. If you just want your teg rolling then the stock LS non-vtec B18a1 with lil money will do. Its not common to see a B16 in a teg, due to its lower displacement, will not benifit a heavier car such as an Integra. You can turbo any B-series as long as it isn't Hi-Comp, and stock B18a1's take boost pretty well as long its at a conservative 5-8lbs of boost due to its boost friendly 9.5:1 compression. You will get noticable power if you rebuild a B-series seeing that any B-series you'll get will have age with it and what ever set up your looking at. But with all Hondas power is mostly made at the design of the head so the LS/vtec swap is common practise among Honda enthueseist. Its the combination of a vtec head (b16 or b18c head) with the bottom end of a non-vtec B18a1 gaining the power benifits of the Vtec head combined with the larger 1.8L other than the smaller 1.6L. So get a B18a1 bottem end and a vtec head and rebuild it with a performance valve train and cams. This is a cheaper alternative, if your not a baller and afford (if you can find one) the bad ass vtec B18c engine that came in the Integra Type R. And if your lucky to come around and stumble upon the rare vtec B17 (which came in the 92-93 Integra GSR only) get it.

graveyardhippie

thank u minion. with that said, know any 1/4 times on a semi basic lsvtec in a da? and is there a safe way to boost it?

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
you dont want to boost a ls vtec, get a gsr engine, or a poormans type r, there the best for boost, you want low compression

evilminion88

I ate the bones
Yeah boosting a ls/vtec is not recommended but has been done if rebuilt and blue printed with extreme precision. I've only heard of professional import drag racing teams pull this off in reliable fashion. Just remember to use head studs such as the ones ARP manufactures instead of OEM head bolts to give the enige that extra reliable strength. I'm not much into import drag but rarely do I see a DA on the strip. Drag seems dominated by the lighter EGs, EFs, and CRXs. Power to wieght ratio is everything when it comes down to big serious power. DAs were, in their prime back in the day, the most modified cars on the streets. Now DAs are for cruising, JDM ballers and fanatics these days. Its hard to find a DA that captures its roots in that clean JDM fashion anymore for they are so old they have been neglected and missing something through out all the years.

G3GirL

UUUHHHH-OOOOHHHHHHH...!!!
i've missed you too! sooo crazy busy. i'll PM you later to catch up! =] about to close up shop for tonight.

DumaDa9

Well the DA tegs are slightly heaveir and bulkier than thier DC5 decendants /QUOTE]

No they arent. The average DA weighs in at about 2590. If you did a basic lsvtec swap with b16 cable trans, and were running slicks with decent driving, i'd say mid to low 14's, thats all stock internals, if you were to do a basic b20vtec swap all stock internals, i'd say high 13's to low 14's with slicks, never seen anyone run k's at the track in a da. If you were to do a swap, you could swap in a b18b1 since its cheaper, and just boost that on like 8lbs with a cable b16 or b17 transmission and it would probably be alot of fun

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Well the DA tegs are slightly heaveir and bulkier than thier DC5 decendants /QUOTE]

No they arent. The average DA weighs in at about 2590. If you did a basic lsvtec swap with b16 cable trans, and were running slicks with decent driving, i'd say mid to low 14's, thats all stock internals, if you were to do a basic b20vtec swap all stock internals, i'd say high 13's to low 14's with slicks, never seen anyone run k's at the track in a da. If you were to do a swap, you could swap in a b18b1 since its cheaper, and just boost that on like 8lbs with a cable b16 or b17 transmission and it would probably be alot of fun
b20 vtec mildy build (just bolt ons) with slicks is a 12 second California Car with a good driver. my friend was hitting 13's in his with slicks in AZ

94dc4

My name matches again lol
I always thoughyt DAs were lighter than DCs, then I compared the two on Consumerguide Auto and the DA is only about 100 lbs heavier. I blame the big ass battery in the front of the DA, LOL

evilminion88

I ate the bones
O yeah forgot to mention the B18b. Due to its newer (if thats a word lol) design it came stock with a bigger exhaust cam to raise volumetric efficiency. This is the same for 92-93 B18a1's. And I know DA's aren't much hevier than DC's hence why I said "slightly" lol.