95 integra not starting.

Havok114

My car was not cranking, wasn't the battery wasn't the starter dash lights would stay on when trying to start the car

Sent from my pager

Casey

Yes you are having the same issues as i am then!
did you hear a click in your fuse box? you have to step out of the car to hear it.

Havok114

I heard a click under the dash.

Sent from my pager

Casey

I've been battling this for the last 3 yrs and finally fixed it 100%.
Here are all the things i went through:
-New Battery
-All new ground wires
-New starter wire
-Rebuilt starter (use search, toyota rebuild is like $15)

After all this it started about 50% of the time.

FINAL SOLUTION:
The starter has 2 wires, the main that goes to the + batt. terminal and a signal wire. the signal wire activates a small solenoid, to turn the starter. if the signal wire isnt getting over 12 volts, it wont start. check it with a meter, mine was getting 11.7V. instead of replacing the starter and/or running new wire through the main harness, i got a SPST Automotive relay.

On the relay:
30- Main starter wire (one that goes to batt. terminal)
87- Starter signal connection (starter side)
86- Starter signal wire (wire harness side)
85- Ground (on frame somewhere)

To make sure this will solve your problem, have someone step on the clutch with the key in. take a small piece of wire and just it from the main starter wire to the signal wire. If it starts this relay will solve your problem.

Hope this helps.
here is some advice i got! i will try it i think it will fix my issue i will get back tomorrow!

Casey

Problem is fixed! i i followed the instructions above and car fired right up.

i was careful not to "bypass" my clutch interlock because it smoked again!
thanks for all the help!

chammond

Originally Posted by RiceBurnerRebel

I've been battling this for the last 3 yrs and finally fixed it 100%.
Here are all the things i went through:
-New Battery
-All new ground wires
-New starter wire
-Rebuilt starter (use search, toyota rebuild is like $15)

After all this it started about 50% of the time.

FINAL SOLUTION:
The starter has 2 wires, the main that goes to the + batt. terminal and a signal wire. the signal wire activates a small solenoid, to turn the starter. if the signal wire isnt getting over 12 volts, it wont start. check it with a meter, mine was getting 11.7V. instead of replacing the starter and/or running new wire through the main harness, i got a SPST Automotive relay.

On the relay:
30- Main starter wire (one that goes to batt. terminal)
87- Starter signal connection (starter side)
86- Starter signal wire (wire harness side)
85- Ground (on frame somewhere)

To make sure this will solve your problem, have someone step on the clutch with the key in. take a small piece of wire and just it from the main starter wire to the signal wire. If it starts this relay will solve your problem.

Hope this helps.
I know this thread is a little dated, but could someone possibly post pictures indicating what to change? I'm not too familiar with wiring so pictures would help me a great deal. Im about 99% sure I have this same problem with the starter, but I just don't know where to start. Thanks :)