allmotor vs supercharger vs turbo question

tenshi_R

luxury integra driver
so i ve been looking at this build
good numbers for the N/A
http://forums.evans-tuning.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3030

but then i red this reply:
Just a little update. The River Otter just went 13.3 on BFG drag radials in 205/50/15 trim. My turbo car was running those times with 300hp! WTF! Way to go Mikey. Keep up the good work captain.
then i looked thru some times on turbo and sc and N/A cars and theres something missing.

how can a 300hp car run same times as a 192hp all motor.

so i have a question now.

say you have 3 integras with gsr motors going up against each other at 1/4 mile
1 all motor 230whp
2supercharged 230whp
3 turbo 230whp

which one would have better times and why?

question 2
what numbers should i expect from all 3 to have same 1/4 mile times and why?

im just trying to understand how different the power is between n/a, jrsc and turbo

because there some peope swear that nobody cares about low end power becasue when you racing you stay in VTEC when you shift, yet i see all motor cars with much smaler numbers standign up to some crazy turbo builds.... whats the catch

99Integrags

Im no expert but if all three have equal hp I'd say the all motor engine would take it cus you dont have the added weight of a sc or turbo. Plus the turbo needs to spool up!

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
weight is one of the last factors
NA builds have greater low end torque, but turbos have really high high end torque. i would say
1. Turbo
2. NA
3. SC

Superchargers are better for AutoX because they have more of a level power band, so they great consistent accelerations t all RPM's, unlike a turbo where you need to be at around 4k+ for it to kick in.

I'm more of a Forced induction guy, i don't know a lot about N/A Builds

Last edited:

IntegraLS-T

Its going to depend on the size of the turbo, and what kind of supercharger. I would say that the NA build and the supercharger build, if its a roots blower, will be very close leaving the turbo car behind. I have seen low 200hp jrsc cars pull away from 300hp turbo cars till the top end where their higher horse power comes into play. Equal hp, you are going to have a wider power band on a NA build or a supercharger making it faster all other things equal.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
weight is one of the last factors
NA builds have greater low end torque, but turbos have really high high end torque. i would say
1. Turbo
2. NA
3. SC

Superchargers are better for AutoX because they have more of a level power band, so they great consistent accelerations t all RPM's, unlike a turbo where you need to be at around 4k+ for it to kick in.

I'm more of a Forced induction guy, i don't know a lot about N/A Builds
SC and NA are better for Auto cross as well as circuit racing because of the more "reliable" power band instead of having boost lag or getting boost in one lump sum. I personally like the reliability of a NA build as well as the throttle response while SC has the feel like a NA car the throttle response isnt as immediate as a NA car. Turbo has the worst of the throttle responses because of t he lag it has as well as using recycled exhaust air.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
All things equal, the turbo car should be the fastest IF the driver knows how to drive the thing and the turbo is properly sized. If you sized the turbo properly to a 230hp application, it would spool instantly negating the low end effects of the supercharger and have a very broad powerband and much more torque than an N/A car easily offsetting the additional 50lbs at most.

Consider that a lot of these N/A cars you see doing this are stripped, gutted cars on slicks while most 300hp turbo cars are comfortable daily driven cars with simple bolt-on turbos and a/c, power steering and other luxuries. Also consider that for, what ever reason, it seems a large portion of Honda people will want a 230hp turbo car but use a turbo good for 500hp....never really made sense to me. :what:

tenshi_R

luxury integra driver
maybe at very low boost like 5-7 psi you might see more linear torque,
but once you go bigger theres nothing untill you hit around 5000rpm or higher sometimes.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
:what: what are we looking at on the dyno? ive seen 275 on a b20 vtec and i belive that motor is streetable...what set ups are those motors running...? are they the same motor or identical ones?

TeggyBear_Ls

90 EF LS/V 95 DC4
I'm not entirely sure why, but many all motor cars are putting out good track times compared to their high-powered turbo counterparts.

My buddies Civic all motor ran a 12.2 on slicks. That's pretty fucking awesome. I think it's a B20/VTEC built with higher compression. But it's still a daily-driven street car too. Pretty sure still on pump gas.