Are we (JDM) Ricers Inside?

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
To me, anything aftermarket added to a car that doesn't improve functionality, or is done solely for visual appeal - 'bling' factor - is rice. In my eyes, ricers are hacks with big egos and little wangs - they want a car to boost their ego and look cool. They don't modify cars to enjoy driving, racing, engineering, etc.

Ricers are essentially posers. JDM parts were originally sought because they provided better performance than many domestically made parts (publicly available anyway). It was a pursuit of function. Just like Group B rally cars used 'body kits' to create downforce back in the 1980's and were ripped off. Now, all those ricers get JDM parts because they want to be considered functional and 'legit', but are in it for reasons other than performance and a love of driving/racing.

michaelz

Now, all those ricers get JDM parts because they want to be considered functional and 'legit', but are in it for reasons other than performance and a love of driving/racing.
I can agree with this to some degree. Sure, there will always been some posers who modify or seek JDM simply for the approval factor and the closest to "performance driving" is traffic light drags. The hellaflush crowd is a bit like this IMO. Absolutely no function, all pose value.

Still, I'm sure there are plenty of them who simply love "true to the original" Japanese styled car and that alone is enough for their driving pleasure. Anything that sways them away from F&F inspired rice is still a good thing.

chronsolo

MAD MAN
there is a guy down the street from me with fog lights mounted on his hood under a hood scoop, on an EG.
that is my official definition of rice.

i want to take pictures but i feel kinda strange standing in front of somebody elses car taking pictures of it, but since i'm going to make fun of it it's cool right?

purpl3ran93r

most people think of JDM as a lifestyle or a theme or some thing stupid
for example i remember back in middle school, all my friends were talkin about being JDM
and posting pics of "so-called" JDM cars on myspace (sigh)

to me JDM is just a part or car, that was made in Japan
easy as that you cant be JDM or rep JDM

phatintegra

Banned
I been in the show scene for to long and I see more converted RHD and they call them 100% JDM but in real life it's only OEM with JDM parts. I hate to say it but it's not JDM. It's only OEM/JDM.

Then you get cars from straight from Japan a Type R Integra, Supra, Skyline, Sylvia, etc. These are 100% JDM.

I build my vehicle to be unique, different, originality and clean.

purpl3ran93r

BUMP

OK, I think I'm starting to fall for the trend, after I finally put some work in to my car (New Turbo Exhaust manifold, Port and Polish etc.) BUT now I'm thinking about a JDM front, I don't wan't to but a whole front for 800 dollars is a deal I can't pass....

meANDmyDB7

actually has an FB6 now.
i wouldn't say the JDM front is rice, but it's just becoming more common.

i'm keepin' my USDM front because it's becoming less common due to the JDM front high in demand these days.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
there is no way to categorize everybody, every one will buy a aesthetic part one time in their life, does that make them a ricer? no

i agree the people that go all out and spend thousands on jdm parts are a little overboard but, whatever, it doesn't effect you

i think theres nothing wrong with making your car look better, thats like saying getting a new paint-job is ricey... your generalizations are just stupid

what is rice to me is making your car look like something its not, thats my personal definition.
you see the true ricers with big drift wings, scoops, body kits, and lambo doors.

putting a Honda optional front end, lip kit, wing, dashboard trimmings, or shift knob is not ricey....

/thread

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
i say relocated license plates, tow hooks for street cars, roof/bike racks, and sticker bombs are rice now..

anyone wants to buy a front/rear benen tow hook set? same numbers etched on both. lol!!

siberianfire

From the short clip of that article or quote about jdm ricers, it doesn't seem like its exactly offensive in my opinion, just a comment about how the trends can pan out. After everything thats going on now phases out and the next generation of enthusiasts roll in they will just discriminate on what we did and consider their ideas better. Just the cycle, evolution in a sense.

OLDSKOOLACURA

Our deffinition of rice is people that put stuff on their cars to make them look fast, ie, big ass wings, 50 brand decals on the door, hood scoops, roof scoops, fender scoops, body kits etc...

The JDM fad is about being clean and oem, just about the exact opposite, I don't associate the hellaflush people with jdm enthusisats, they are kinda a different breed if you will.

There's different kinds of jdm, there's people who want the jdm look and dress their car in all jdm parts
and theres the people who have the jdm "spirit", people who enjoy a clean looking car with emphasis on the performance.
agreed