Are we (JDM) Ricers Inside?

rexpepper123

It would have been an easier read if you didn't have so many returns. You don't have to hit enter after every 6 words, you only need to do it when you get to a new paragraph.

People do what they want to do to their cars. If they want a neater engine bay, then so be it. I wouldn't mind cleaning up my messy bay. I don't think my front end is rice either. Although it is more common nowadays, I certainly don't see nearly as many JDM fronts as I do USDM.

I guess the next thing people will call rice are K swaps...
id love to have a jdm front :( come to mn for some really jank rice take a trip down university ave in st paul and you will know exactly what im talking about. me and a body were talking aboutthis same thing the other day and it always makes me wonder how someone can take a good running nice car and turn it in to garbage in 3 weeks. jank shit=rice

Accel.speed

basically, i like fast!
Racing
Inspired
Cosmetic
Enhancements

Yes JDM is used a lot more than it should be. But a lot of new people dont even know what JDM means. I called my car JDM when I first got it because it seemed like it meant your call was cool. When really it means your car was made by japan lol. It is used to much, but like everyone has said, its a trend.

Respect for the real JDM'ers.

DroolinBuddie

o_o...lol people call me a ricer...just because im the only one in my neighborhood rockin' a bodykit on both my hatch and teg...one time i was cruisin with my "JDM TO THE FKKIN MAX" friend...(lol he has a ebay lip btw, LMAO), well we parked up at a gas station, and everyone stared and gave compliments to my car more than his...o__O;; i just think it's personal prefrence... I love kits and stock jdm/oem style...I just love the damn cars damnit.

Jackmldog

Jack
Honestly, who cares what people think. Being a ricer is no different than my principal coming up to me at an assembly one day and telling me to take off my hat because we're inside and said I was being disrespectful. If I pay for something, such as school. I'm going to do what I damn well please. (That is, as long as it doesn't hurt someone else)

Cripton805

I think JDM fits into the rice scene...
In my opinion.

I know OG's that think it's gotten out of hand and these trends are stupid.

The way they see it...
Youre seriously swapping a whole front end?
mmmm

and as far as the excuse for the person liking, that doesn't mean it's not rice. The people putting kits on their cars don't think it's rice, so it isn't? Swapping a whole front end making it look completely different is pretty rice in my own opinion.

I like the JDM front. Do I think it's ricey. I do. Do I care? no. It's not as bad as body kits though.
I like legit JDM parts / cars in their chassis. I like originality.

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
YOUR POINTS ARE MOOT!

Guys its all preference. Period. There will be fads and there will be innovators.

Roof racks and deep dish rims are dying out and boosted stock motors are taking over. Everybody and their brother tucks their bay and boosts their motor these days. So R.I.C.E. is about to be redefined as boosted hondas.......

It would seem the definition of RICE is: yesterdays fad

Cripton805

Roof racks and deep dish rims are dying out and boosted stock motors are taking over. Everybody and their brother tucks their bay and boosts their motor these days. So R.I.C.E. is about to be redefined as boosted hondas.......
Maybe... I never really liked boosted Honda's to begin with.
I like N/A territory in our cars. I just like the feeling of an N/A canyon run.

I wouldn't mind a boosted 240 or 350.

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
Maybe... I never really liked boosted Honda's to begin with.
I like N/A territory in our cars. I just like the feeling of an N/A canyon run.

I wouldn't mind a boosted 240 or 350.
boosted motors have a cool look. you drive around and rev high so your BOV makes a lot of noise and a LOT of people know you put money and time into your car. My fav car at East Coast Honda Meet was a friends OOOOOOOld school RHD prelude that was bone stock and rusty. I wanted to hear the story about how he got and hear about the part differences between the JDM and USDM parts and stuff. I also liked a guys car who had done the interior with spiderman fabrik. the guy liked spiderman and he liked his car and he combined em lol

Blue95gsr

That car you smoked!
I have also started noticing a trend that if you dont know the chassis code then your not "jdm."

I for one agree about how the muscle car guys think that it's all a waste and that we all want to be like the The Fast and The Furious.

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
o_o...lol people call me a ricer...just because im the only one in my neighborhood rockin' a bodykit on both my hatch and teg...one time i was cruisin with my "JDM TO THE FKKIN MAX" friend...(lol he has a ebay lip btw, LMAO), well we parked up at a gas station, and everyone stared and gave compliments to my car more than his...o__O;; i just think it's personal prefrence... I love kits and stock jdm/oem style...I just love the damn cars damnit.
You really need to read up on what you're talking about. You seem to have a warped view on JDM, OEM, rice, etc.. I assume you live in a small area
I have also started noticing a trend that if you dont know the chassis code then your not "jdm."
I'm Polish and I know my chassis code; wtf does that have to do with JDM? You and the other quoted post have been hanging out with the wrong people and they're selling you wolf tickets; stick around and learn from us

3Axis

mothaf*cka...
The only way to to guarantee a car to be "JDM" is to actually have it imported from Japan with all the original manufacturing characteristics. If it's the case for the the Integra, then it was built in Suzuka (I think). Granted, this doesn't mean that someone who willfully goes out of their way adding JDM parts, specifically crafted for the car destined for the Japanese market, doesn't have JDM qualities. It's just sometimes it isn't that obvious unless you see someone with a DC with a front end conversion. Something like that is a great stride toward the JDM quality. I think a RHD conversion is really, really cool. In my case, with something as insignificant as amber bumper lamps (which are not OEM/JDM anyhow, I'm fairly certain) doesn't really make a difference; it makes my car no more "rice" or "JDM"; something like that goes fairly unnoticed. I only did it because the original lamps were in bad shape. Now, if I were to invest in one-piece lamps, I would be doing it because I feel they look better than the fragmented appearance of the USDM headlamps. If that happens to appear as some as JDM, then it's no qualm for me. Similarly, I don't feel like a ricer because I have a red valve cover, silver painted accents in the interior, or BBS wheels. I like that kind of stuff. The reason it becomes ricer is because someone does something in such excess that the car just looks like a mess. It's a blurred line, but not that blurred. The key is moderationm and if you look at actual cars in the JDM, you're highly unlikely to see something conspicuously egregious in terms of cosmetics, especially if it's JDM. I'm not about a strap an aluminium two-tier spoiler on my car; I would much rather have the OEM spoiler with the high mount light. I'd love to do performance mods, but I don't have the money or facility... The main difference between someone a tuner and a ricer is one takes great pride in the effort to make a car more than what it is. A ricer is looking for instant gratification and unwarranted calls of attention.

Last edited:

DAWGSwlms22

Things change throughout the years. In the 90's, all the things that are considered rice now, was actually cool. In 10 years, who's to say that JDM, won't be frowned upon? In a way, he's right. It's all a huge bandwagon, whether anyone wants to admit it or not. It's all about what's "in" at the time.