B16a or B18b?

bakerrm

The engine and transmission in my car need rebuilt. The engine has low compression on two cylinders and is knocking, while the transmission needs synchros and possibly a pilot shaft. I've been looking at JDM motors on HMotorsonline, and am contemplating swapping a B16a in. What are the pros and cons of the B16 in a daily driven Integra? How much low-end will I loose and how noticeable will that be in the driveablity?

ltrain

b18b with a b16 tranny !!! Ftw \/

TeggyBear_Ls

90 EF LS/V 95 DC4
Which b16 is that? Is that the one in the 99-00 Civic Si??? If it is, I personaly would go with the B18B1 motor..... I have evidence why too. B18B1 owns an B16........ :) The B18b1 should be a hellova lot cheaper too, mod the b18 and you'll be faster than that b16 for same price

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
Which b16 is that? Is that the one in the 99-00 Civic Si??? If it is, I personaly would go with the B18B1 motor..... I have evidence why too. B18B1 owns an B16........ :) The B18b1 should be a hellova lot cheaper too, mod the b18 and you'll be faster than that b16 for same price
Most B16A engines are from the EG6.

TeggyBear_Ls

90 EF LS/V 95 DC4
EG6? Oh the JDM EG6 Sir?? Oh ok, wells it's pretty much the same thing anyway... 167hp....

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
EG6? Oh the JDM EG6 Sir?? Oh ok, wells it's pretty much the same thing anyway... 167hp....
170, but close enough. Still doesn't have enough torque for an Integra. I raced a DA with a lightly tuned B16A when my B18C1 was stock. The DA was gutted too. My DB8 is fully loaded. DB8 > DA.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
no doubt on taking the B18 over the B16*... I'm just saying it's not a fail. they did that from the start. lol

Last edited:

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
lol, I didn't even notice I said the same motor... meh... D15 ftw!!! haha

k... if you have the chance of getting either or, I'd take the B18 over the B16.... if it came down it it and you were hella cut for costs, I'd take the B16.