Best coilovers for around 500?

d@_b3st

not on the $500 range but I actually had d2's and got to say I love them 100% plus they're serviceable for $100 each corner when they blow, like stated by other members already I'd say save up some more cash and buy a good proven setup suspension is an area where you don't want to cheap out...

PioneerLS

Function and form type 1's are probably as cheap as you want to go. I got them and i love them.

edit: to address what people are saying below me, ive had mine for somewhere around 6-12 months and probably have 10k-15k miles on them and they still ride good. Not bouncy or anything. Type2's im pretty sure can be adjusted for more stiffness iirc.

Last edited:

Nick_C78

You guys are forgetting the big picture. A lot of suspension feels good at first. The question is how does it feel after months or even years. That comes down to the brand of shock and the springs. There are only 3 brands of springs I would ever use and ever recommend; Swift, Hyperco, and Eibach. Shocks would be Koni, Eibach, Tein, JRZ, and pretty much anything else over $1k. Anything under 800 is not going to last you that long, by that I mean it will start to drive like crap in no time. People who say that cheap brands ride good are the ones who upgraded from ebay coilovers. Koni Yellows with ground control sleeves and eibach springs is the cheapest "coilover" set up I would recommend. The cheapest Spring and shock set up I would choose is Eibach Sportlines with Koni Oranges. The reason Koni is worth it is 2 things; They ride nice and they come with a damn good warranty. Spend the extra 300 and get koni ground control man. You'll thank us later.

Gbaby2089

Negative Ned
I would not touch anything mentioned in this thread, except for Koni/GC.

If you're unwilling to spend around $1200 or more....you should be on stock suspension. It is that simple.

(I agree with everything Nick said above^, we posted at the same moment.)

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Money doesn't have to equal quality, lets just agree on that. You do your homework, read into the tests & experiences of others before you, and then make an educated decision. If you are bold enough, be the first to purchase an item without reviews and then be the one who enlightens those who may or may not purchase them later. There are many companies who produce this stuff, Koni and GC are just the ones everyone always Copy and Pastes from the past, even though their may be options that cost the same or cheaper but better quality and performance. Either way, educate yourself to the best of your abilities then ask for help, and after that you can make a purchase. As the saying goes "Measure twice, cut once". Now go at it! :D

Gbaby2089

Negative Ned
Money doesn't have to equal quality, lets just agree on that. You do your homework, read into the tests & experiences of others before you, and then make an educated decision. If you are bold enough, be the first to purchase an item without reviews and then be the one who enlightens those who may or may not purchase them later. There are many companies who produce this stuff, Koni and GC are just the ones everyone always Copy and Pastes from the past, even though their may be options that cost the same or cheaper but better quality and performance. Either way, educate yourself to the best of your abilities then ask for help, and after that you can make a purchase. As the saying goes "Measure twice, cut once". Now go at it! :D
Will Tonaka suspension components ever be on a Formula One car?

No, GTFO.

Are Eibach/Koni components on F1 cars today and for many years in the past?

Yes.

Nick_C78

I have to agree, Jackal, that was pretty stupid advice. With modern technology and networking word spreads fast. Especially when it is about a good quality part that is inexpensive. Simple logic really. To say that nobody has ever heard of it so it is worth taking a risk on is very poor advice. I know someone has to be the first, but let that be someone who can afford to throw the money away. There are a lot of new companies out there that are improving though that were once crap. Skunk2 is becoming known as the higher quality parts when back in the day they were junk. Buddyclub is still junk, but getting better every day. The simple reason to "copy and paste" the koni ground control set up is simple, it works and it has a lifetime warranty... Why the hell wouldn't you just do it? Cheaper companies do not offer the same warranty and do not have the reputation and history to back up the warranty. Why save 200 dollars on something that will be scrap in a year?

Also, I stand by what I said about the only 3 spring companies that matter. Everything else is and always will be crap.

randomhobo

automagic user
You guys are forgetting the big picture. A lot of suspension feels good at first. The question is how does it feel after months or even years. That comes down to the brand of shock and the springs. There are only 3 brands of springs I would ever use and ever recommend; Swift, Hyperco, and Eibach. Shocks would be Koni, Eibach, Tein, JRZ, and pretty much anything else over $1k. Anything under 800 is not going to last you that long, by that I mean it will start to drive like crap in no time. People who say that cheap brands ride good are the ones who upgraded from ebay coilovers. Koni Yellows with ground control sleeves and eibach springs is the cheapest "coilover" set up I would recommend. The cheapest Spring and shock set up I would choose is Eibach Sportlines with Koni Oranges. The reason Koni is worth it is 2 things; They ride nice and they come with a damn good warranty. Spend the extra 300 and get koni ground control man. You'll thank us later.
I made the mistake of using the KYB GR-2 shocks/struts with my Eibach springs, needless to say after 2 years springs are good but shocks are blown...

It did ride good at first though...

Nick_C78

KYB are always blown. My daily came with some on it and they were all blown.

I have devoted a very large amount of my time in to researching suspensions for these cars. That is why I always post in these threads. The "copy and paste" method is that way because it is the best bang for the buck, plain and simple. You can even customize your spring rates for the same price...I mean how much more do you want? 800 dollars, custom spring rates and lifetime warranty? Show me something better that has had the extensive R&D behind it and history of racing and I will gladly support it. My buddy has koni yellows on his car that he bought a little over 10 years ago and they are still good...What does that tell you? It always bothers me when people suggest not getting the koni yellow/gc combo because it is a copy and paste... Take that hipster ass mentality to a fashion forum.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Eibach pro kits can be had for under $500 and they work very well. Not adjustable, but setup from the factory they are an excellent bolt in and drive suspension upgrade.

Nick_C78

Eibach pro kits can be had for under $500 and they work very well. Not adjustable, but setup from the factory they are an excellent bolt in and drive suspension upgrade.
Yes, and if you want more low you can use the Eibach Sportline Springs with the Eibach Pro kit shocks. Eibach Pro Kit shocks and Koni Oranges are fairly inexpensive in terms of shocks and are the cheapest I would go honestly.

randomhobo

automagic user
KYB are always blown. My daily came with some on it and they were all blown.

I have devoted a very large amount of my time in to researching suspensions for these cars. That is why I always post in these threads. The "copy and paste" method is that way because it is the best bang for the buck, plain and simple. You can even customize your spring rates for the same price...I mean how much more do you want? 800 dollars, custom spring rates and lifetime warranty? Show me something better that has had the extensive R&D behind it and history of racing and I will gladly support it. My buddy has koni yellows on his car that he bought a little over 10 years ago and they are still good...What does that tell you? It always bothers me when people suggest not getting the koni yellow/gc combo because it is a copy and paste... Take that hipster ass mentality to a fashion forum.
:like:

96LSteg

Jemel
Yes, and if you want more low you can use the Eibach Sportline Springs with the Eibach Pro kit shocks. Eibach Pro Kit shocks and Koni Oranges are fairly inexpensive in terms of shocks and are the cheapest I would go honestly.
I love my sportline springs