Best gas for gsr

inferno

Hey. I was wondering which is the best gas to use if 91 is not offered where I live. I have been using 89 ever since I first got my GSR (6 months ago). 93 is really expensive, and since I am a teenager that pays for his own gas, that is a big problem. Is it ok if I continue using 89? The car seems fine with it...

PogKai

B20VTEC
Yes you can use 89, but loss of performace will be noticed. Also when the piston begins to ping you'll have to change to 93.

inferno

PogKai said:
Yes you can use 89, but loss of performace will be noticed. Also when the piston begins to ping you'll have to change to 93.
What will the piston pinging sound like? Does it hurt the engine? Will there be permanent damage or will switching to 93 be enough?

DC2_Project

i would be safe and go with 93, especally bc you have a gsr

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
You can use 89 octane, but you'll lose power. The ECU will detect detonation, aka pinging, and retard ignition timing. I don't know what the long term effects of using 89 in a B18C are, but why risk it? You can go back and forth between tanks of gas between 89 and 93 I suppose, since 91 is the recommended octane for a GSR, going back and forth between 89 and 93 will land you at 91. That how it is in N.H., gas stations have 87, 89 and 93 - no 91. Except for the Sunoco stations, but they're more expensive than everyone else. Why pay, for example, $2.07 a gallon for 91 at Sunoco when you can get 93 at Exxon for $2.10, you know?

Hey you, half the guys on this board would kill for a B18C! You're lucky enough to have one, treat it right!!! :p

Vistec R

i use 87 all the time im to cheap to put 93

PogKai

B20VTEC
inferno said:
What will the piston pinging sound like? Does it hurt the engine? Will there be permanent damage or will switching to 93 be enough?
yes it's bad.. it'll damage the side of the pistons and the cylinder walls

Chuckie Finster

Prolonged use of inadequte octane can result in, but is not limited, to spun bearings. When the low octane rating of the fuel is unable to resist detonation or pre-ignition with the high static compression ratio of the B18C1, the force of the igniting air/fuel mixture is diverted onto the piston before the optimal amount of crankshaft rotation is achieved (usu. ~15º ATDC). This causes large amounts of pressure to be applied to the rod bearing(s) which can deform the round uniform shape of the bearing 'causing lubrication and cooling problems and balancing/clearance issues as your engine slowly comes spiraling down from VTEC-kingdom with every damaging crank rotation afterwards...a slow long death as that little motor waits for its day to come when the bearing finally seizes up and punches a hole in the side of the block. Then...then there the motor will take its last breaths, dripping its lifeblood (that's the oil) away on the pavement as it tries to get back up with every crank of the starter, peering into the distance of the Mustang just past but seeing nothing...the little engine cannot lose...it cannot lose...no, it's over. :twisted:

Okay, okay. Maybe not as graphic as that description but take care of your car. Run the right octane for your car--whatever the number really is. ;)

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Black_GS said:
use sunoco 94 ultra..only the best,.,,
Using a higher octane rating than is required for your engine is pointless. The octane rating of gas is simply a measure of its resistance to detonation, not a rating of the quality of the gas itself. The quality of the gas can be found in the name of the gas station you buy the gas from.

ca86108

id love to put higher octane in my gsr id love it.. but im broke as a MOTHER FUCKER.... i got like 30 to spend a WEEEK on anything. and i gotta commute from school and back so i got no choice but to put cheap gas.. i hate it nooooooooo