Cam suggestions

rivman05

I got a question about different cam profiles and companies. I have a bone stock 94 ls. At the moment, Im in the process of getting and AEM sri, skunk2 IM, dc sports 4-2-1, and a yonaka cat back. That takes care of basic bolt ons, and now its time to touch the head. Ive been searching for a p8r head to touch up and build but no dice yet.
I have a friend that has a set of stage 1 obx non vtec cams. Im not looking to go turbo or lsvtech. Looking for a good solid DD na motor. With that said, I have a spare ls head that will be ported, polished, to match gaskets. The cams I dont want to throw back in as I would rather build this some to add to the power, and get some more torque hopefully.

I cant find any brian crower stage 1 cams, but found some Gude Stg 1 non vtech cams, the OBX cams, and not a whole lot else. Im looking for lower end to mid range power band that has some good torque to it as I plan on using it to drive the Alcan (Alaska-Canada Highway), in the summers to visit my folks. Ive dealt with cams in the past but it was seriuosly only one manufacturer of aftermarket parts for my 72 Riviera. Any help, thoughts, suggestions would be killer. Looking for a good idle 750-6k-6.5k. The bottom end will be addressed as well later on. Thanks and sorry for the long post but the more info i provide, the better the responses are for help.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Why do people insisnt on thoroughly building ls motors with anything other than vtec conversion or forced induction?

rivman05

Its just easiest, and probably will end up more reliable. If it doesn't perform the way I want then Ill build something and swap it. I want to give the LS motor a chance to show me what its got...Its not my 455, 427 SOHC, 428 PI, 430, 410...I have other cars that make 4x's the power....Just want a little more spunk out of this with out having to have extended down time. I want to do the entire build in a day, get it tuned the next and then have fun from there on out...72 Riviera, 58 Edsel Corsair, 64 Tbird, 63 Tbird...besides the 05 Ranger its the only thing fuel injected in our garage.

g3teg97

Super Moderator
Why do people insisnt on thoroughly building ls motors with anything other than vtec conversion or forced induction?
I always thought the same way about peopling building SOHC motors.

I think a lot of people think it will be cheaper since you are not adding forced induction or doing an LS/VTEC build that requires more parts.

My problem is that if you build an LS/B20 a little bit, you might want more power and some of those parts are money wasted, technically and you might be spending money twice on things. :what:

rivman05

The Ford 427 Sohc made 650 hp off a single 4 barrel carb, grant thats break not wheel. My thing is that I dont want to play with either yet, I dont want to be on the Alcan and have something break 400 miles from the nearest big city i could get parts at. All I asked was a suggestion about cams, and really thats what I would like. Not why not go this route or this route. Thats why our shop at home is littered with blocks, heads. We built something that we thought would do well, and it may have but not what we wanted. Thats the way it goes sometimes. The ls motor I think will do just fine for what I need at the moment. If I get another car as a DD then Ill definitely look into a gsr swap and add boost to it. Back on topic, so obx are out. Crower I know has cams, anyone run Gude cams or anyone else that they know of? Its more or less going to be an endurance car, as the alcan is 2600 miles start to finish for me. Stock doesnt cut it and I need some more oomph. Ill have all the intake, air intake, and complete exhaust. The head will be ported and polished, and I just need some better cams.

Last edited:

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
He's referring to single cam honda motors not all sohc applications. Im guessing a 427 is a v8 but in any case, a larger motor is gonna respond a lot better to mods than small motors. The point is, for the most part, its a waste of money to build a ls motor to that extent. In my opinion its a waste to do any bolt on to a ls with the goal of performance gain. The only mod i would do short of a vtec conversion or fi is upgrading the trans to a close gear ratio. At no point was i suggesting an alternate route though. Bringing the idea that its a waste to your attention is more like it but otherwise continue if you intend to proceed.