Car randomly shuts off

vdot757

Hello again everyone! My car was running great with no problems after fixing my head gasket. Now, when I am driving, my car has been shutting off like I turned the key off. I have checked for fuel, it's good ..I have spark .. starter is good, alternator is good. I am very puzzled as it's so weird! I can drive it around the block 10 times then it will shut off and it may start right back up, or it may take 20 minutes or longer. I thought maybe I had gotten bad gas, but when I checked for fuel, it was nice and clear like it should be. Does anyone know what could be going on?

mteg

Automatic Lover
Possible short or ground. When it shuts off, do any of the lights go off, or is more like if you ran out of gas?

vdot757

It just shuts off .. no warnings at all .. no sputtering or anything. It just dies. I replace the cap & rotor while doing the head gasket. Its only been a month ...

vdot757

When it is running though, the noise coming out of my muffler is like a popping noise .. it's not smooth like it was a few days ago. I did beat out my cat a few weeks ago. I just checked for holes in the exhaust & muffler and there aren't any.

EyeKhan

¡AY, CARAMBA!
My brother's 1999 Accord dx would shut off many times, randomly. I pinpointed the problem to the main relay. After re-soldering all the points on the main relay, the Accord never shut off ever again. I don't know if it's common problem on the Integra, but it's common on the 6th gen Accords.

Go read this:http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/startproblems.html
You might find your answer in there.

Last edited:

vdot757

dang, really? I need to check it! How do ya tell if it's bad? would there be a crack in it, like a fuse?

Thinkblue33

Esta La Victoria!
What your describing sounds very similar to what happened to my teg. It would just shut off out of no where. I would start it and within 5 minutes the car would shut off. Car would not start for about 15-20 mins then start again and die within 5 mins. Come to find out it the igniter was cracked. I replaced it and haven't had a problem with it since. Try checking that and see if it's damaged.

vdot757

It turns out, it was a loose wire in the distributor near where the coil goes! I unscrewed a bolt and the wire basically fell right out. I got the wire back on and now my car is running fine and not cutting off anymore! Ya"ll ROCK!! I SO appreciate all the great advice you have given me!

vdot757

I didn't even make it to the igniter thinkblue33 .. I hardly know much about cars lol but was glad this fix didn't cost me any money! thanks for you advice!!

killaf0rnia626

Gimmie $$$!!
What your describing sounds very similar to what happened to my teg. It would just shut off out of no where. I would start it and within 5 minutes the car would shut off. Car would not start for about 15-20 mins then start again and die within 5 mins. Come to find out it the igniter was cracked. I replaced it and haven't had a problem with it since. Try checking that and see if it's damaged.
yup same problem....hmmm..

72Spitfire

If your car randomly stalls (and feels like it looses spark), then it starts again with no issues after a few minutes...your distributor is failing. I agree with Mr. Samuraii Blue. Seems to be lots of these posts lately.