Charlotte (Nicks 95 GSR)

ZaWn

This is why I need a garage. You can do hella stuffs to your car and have the storage to keep your parts to be installed.
Sweet build dude. Hope to catch you at the track again. :thumbs up

-Z-

Nick_C78

Now this is a build thread! Tell me more about the specs on this intake they had..... I see the aem.. and then theres a K&N and then one thats wrapped.
Thank you, sir. I tried to make it organized. It is missing quite a bit of detailed in progress info and pics, but you get the idea. Future mods will be documented better.

Ok allow me to share my experiences with intakes as far as the ones mentioned:

The 'k&n' one is fake. Well, it is a real K&N filter, but a home made intake(made from intercooler piping), just stickered up and painted to fool the cops.

The AEM one is BRAND new, only used it for 30 miles, and the tuner told me it is too small for my set up, so had to ditch it. Needless to say my GF got a new intake for her LS out of it.

The one they installed at the tuner(which is not pictured) was just a 3 inch diameter piping short ram intake with a velocity stack on it and filter.

The one that is wrapped is the one I made and currently use. It is a 3inch diameter piping short ram intake, with a BPI flowstack and AEM filter with 6inch inlet to fit over the stack.

Nick_C78

This is why I need a garage. You can do hella stuffs to your car and have the storage to keep your parts to be installed.
Sweet build dude. Hope to catch you at the track again. :thumbs up

-Z-
Yeah, the garage comes in handy. And thank you. Yeah same here, I am sure we will see each other at the tracks quite a bit from now on haha.

And yes, tools do tend to help. I am still restocking on my tools. My old car got stolen...which means so were all the tools I used to keep in it.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Oh you.. i didnt take pictures of your car cus you werent lowered. :mrgreen:

Yea that makes perfect sense cus to me the aem looked small when i saw the photos. Your build wants to breathe more than a ls intake will give. Still seeing 10whp gain is impressive going from intake to intake not oem to intake. Honda didnt make the type r run a 3" intake for no reason. :thumbs up

Nick_C78

Oh you.. i didnt take pictures of your car cus you werent lowered. :mrgreen:
I am 1.5 inches lowered from stock, but I see your point. Lol However, why did that void me of pics :p
I agree though, my suspension is lacking big time. Something I will work on after I get a few more track days. I want to hit 2:10 at buttonwillow 13 before doing major mods.

Yeah, it does want to breathe. I fixed the inhale. It still wants to exhale more(funds haven't allowed for an exhaust just yet) lol. My exhaust right now is actually horrible. Seriously robbing me of a lot of power... So that is something I will address in the future. Right now I just want to do track days and eventually get a new block since the machine shop screwed this one.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
LoL i lie but only partially.. i got a few shots but none were clear so i never posted any.

Depending on which header you bought, that might make the biggest difference but at 200whp youll definately benefit some from larger piping but i couldnt see it being largely significant. I honestly think the header will be your biggest gain.

Edit: Just noticed you tuned at Church. Their dyno reads high. What did they set your vtec at? Another member here, Local, had his car tuned there and they set his vtec at 7k and his fuel cutoff is still at 8k.

Last edited:

Nick_C78

Oh, what a bummer haha. I dont have very many of my car on track. I am sure I will get plenty over time though.

Yeah, When I say exhaust, I mean the entire thing, header and all. The set up I plan on getting is PLM Narrow Style header (RMF replica), with a 2.5inch test pipe, and a kteller 3inch catback with a Buddy Club Pro Spec muffler.

All of it should combine to be a pretty nice gain over my 60 dollar ebay stock style 4-2-1 header(which probably performs worse than stock), resonator test pipe, and 2.25" ebay cat back with another resonator and an apexi muffler...lol

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
As long as the piping size is correct and its mandrel bent the pipes should be ok however the headers are a hit or miss with the copies. You either have a good one or one like you mentioned, worse than stock. Definately get what you pay for when you go with a plm and rmf performs really well. Id go with the hytech though.

Last i read 3" was still too much for 1.8. What am i missing?

You probably havent seen the buttonwillow thread we had going in the events section but jdmzipties.com most likely has photos of your car. They were there taking photos and you can also get the ones from the tracks official photographers Vanhap. Link is in that thread somewhere but probably also on buttonwillows site linked.

Nick_C78

Yeah, mine is really really horrible...

Ive thought about that too, but I can't afford a 900 dollar header haha. I have heard good things about PLM.

Yeah, I have been told 3inch is too big from a lot of people, but we will see. The head guy actually recommended 3inch post cat, because the back pressure from the header and test pipe will be enough. I might go 2.5 just to be safe. It is still a debate lol.

Nick_C78

:thumbs up. Sweet ride bro. That engine bay looks spotless.
Thanks man. I appreciate it. But nah, the bay has a lot of scratches from the previous owner. I cleaned it up a lot though and did what I could. I also did one of those semi-wire tucks where you reroute the wires to be as hidden as possible with out cutting and extending anything.

Nick_C78

Which pic, the one with the titanium wrapped intake? Well, it is decent and when I do something, I do it right and as clean as possible. So other than the paint on some areas, it does look good. I am just a perfectionist though so ya haha. It is a hell of a lot better than it was when I first got it.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
I meant the hytech replica by plm. Id only ever get the real deal if i could care less about money. lol

If the header and test pipe are good enough making the piping after that not matter then it should also not matter to keep it the same size all the way through id think. Thats probably the safest bet unless there was tech out there that shows some benefit to having the 3" size after test pipe. Im guessing the buddy club is also a 3" muffler. If anything it could be possible that the fact that the exhaust is still in the piping after the test pipe could somehow be detrimental on a tuning level. Probably not one that will really affect us real world in non competition scenarios.

Harmonics, pressure waves and flow velocity.... :2confused