chipped ecu?

rivman05

Hi,
Ive got a 94 LS coupe. Im wondering if anyone here has messed around with chipped ecu's at all as Im thinking of getting one to use for fuel and ignition control for a mild build. Im just curious, what folks have tried and had good results with as Im extremely new to doing this kind of work. Thanks, if its spam, please point me to a place that can help.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I went t hrough pheable dot net for my basemapped ecu. Their soldering sucked. out of the 28 pin chip connector one is used to talk to the actual computer, that one is often not soldered in properly which makes connecting a hondata to the computer quite difficult at times. I suggest calling a tuner to see if they have a soldering service and if they can tune/have a license of the hondata system

njhustler

So "chipped ecu's" are no good?. I have a 95 gsr and I was considering this to be my next mod. This is my work car so I intend on keeping my stock ecu for gas mileage. Car has bolt on's and I would like to get a little more out of it for weekend play.

rivman05

Ok, I looked at the xenocron site as well. I live in Rural Alaska 330 days out of the year now, and go to eastern Washington for the remainder. I new to the whole efi world as my newest car was a 78 eldorado, the tuning I need is just for a cai and full exhaust. Can the stock ecu's get retuned? If so I wouldn't have to go chipped I guess. Thanks for the help. Any other advice, I have considered a true piggy back. Are Hondata s100/200 any good?

Last edited:

rivman05

Anyone any thoughts? I plan on it getting tuned but wondering what chips folks were using. Ive heard both good and bad things about phearable.net chipped ecu's, but I just need it to be socketed as theres a hondata tuner not too far from my dads house. Anyone know folks who would socket ecu's?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I would honestly send it to Raceline or Hondata. Phearable does a shitty job and may cause the hondata system to not communicate with the computer which has happened to me like twice. Infact i could no tune on my ecu this last time and had to wait for another ecu to come in and tune on that one.

A socketed ecu will not encompass the Hondata s100 unit. The s100 is a 28 pin chip as well as a 4 pin modual at location CN10 or something like that. Those paired with the removal of resister J12 make the hondata reliable. Its a tad more than the run of the mill 28 pin crome chip which is what phearable does, however they do ship their ecus Hondata ready which is a plus but like i said when they test the ecus they dont test that it talks to the computer which may cause a problem during tuning. Also their ecus come with phantom codes. Ie if you get a code for say misfiring, you may get another code for traction control.

rivman05

I know the Hondata is a separate chip that will have to be tuned. I plan on buying another ecu from a boneyard to get the chipping done. Ill just wait and see, I've heard that phearable ecus had issues. I was hoping to buy an already socketed ecu that is ready to accept a hondata chip. I would just buy the hondata chip and take it to a hondata tuner as Im trying to get it all done 2800 miles from my car. I won't even see it till mid June, and leave 2 weeks later.

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
Why not just buy and have your local Hondata tuner socket and chip the ecu? You buy Hondata and it comes with the chip. Sounds a lot more logical to me rather then going to 20 different shops... "chippped" ecu's are nothing more then junk, the ones you buy on ebay simply toss a ton of fuel in your car and raise your redline and then leave you wondering why your shit just blew up. Basemaps are just that, they are basemaps and are only meant to allow you to start the car up and get it trailered to a real tuner. Are they close enough to get the car up and running, yes usually. Are they close enough to get your car up and running around town safely, no!

BTW if you're looking for a spare ecu to have chipped I have a P06 laying here that will work for you.

rivman05

Im not sure which ecu I need tho, its a LS non vtec 5 spd. The reason for getting things before is that since Im no where near my car 11 months out of the year I was going to get everything prepped, then when I get home use one of our cars to haul the Teg to the nearest Hondata tuner which in Washington is about 200 miles from where my dad lives. For just a CAI, and full exhaust do you really need to get it tuned? Im not going boosted yet, but plan on it later on. Like I said earlier, I have little to no knowledge about how to get newer cars tuned right, my previous economy car was a 66 Plymouth Fury III with an ambulance 318 2 barrel carb.

Last edited:

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
Your LS ecu ill work just fine as all the OBD1 ecus can be converted to run Vtec or whatever. I would just wait and have it done when you're ready to tune the car. A CAI and Exhaust are not worth having the car retuned imo.