Clutch Question

jcrabb13

Registered Abuser
The more i drive the teggy, I've noticed its a bit tough going into first and second...I'm assuming this is a sign that the clutch is getting worn out? It was just first gear...at first :roll:, but now it seems like it has trouble going into second as well from time to time. i can typically get it in with a bit of pressure (giggity) but still...cause for alarm in my opinion.

and if/when i do have to replace, what performance/maintenance upgrade would one suggest while going about that.

thanks in advance

jcrabb13

Registered Abuser
well ive noticed it more here recently. and its about as cold as it gets in texas. so yes?

H2bintegra84

Its most likely your clutch and not your fluid. But then again your clutch would slip/would not grab as good also.

bradster101

Im also having a bit of the same problem when its cold... after Ive been driving for a half hour or so it seems to loosen up and becomes easier to get into gear... But I only have 5-6000 miles on it so Im wondering if it could be this fluid that you speak of???

3Axis

mothaf*cka...
How many miles on the car? Maybe the synchomesh is just cruddy when the car is colder and the gears aren't engaged. I have to double-clutch for about 10 minutes or else it grinds a little big. It's about 20 degrees here. New England winters.

Hot.Damn.

newb and awesome
If you haven't changed your trans fluid in awhile or ever id flush it with new honda fluid. Should make your shift quality better. Its a good place to start, get the maintamce up to date and start from there.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Have you ever changed your clutch master cylinder and/or slave cylinder? That is my bet. A worn out clutch slips and doesn't make it harder to go into gear. That would actually make it easier provided it is still in proper adjustment and everything else is fine.

When the master or slave start to go, they will generally start by bypassing just a small amount of pressure...just enough to start making shifting difficult. Check the master, slave and lines for leaks. Easy way to tell, next time it won't go into first, pump the clutch a few times real quick then see if it will slip in.

If you've never changed your fluid, then that couldn't hurt. But I seriously doubt that is what is causing your difficulty in shifting. If it were, you would most likely see that in the form of synchro related issues and gear grinds. To me, it just sounds like the clutch isn't fully disengaging.

Last edited:

jcrabb13

Registered Abuser
alright thanks guys, ill have to find the car records and see when the last time these were repaired if they have been. i wanna say tranny fluid was flushed before i got it...