Cold air intake, what about hydrolock?

hen92

I am interested in getting a cold air intake for my 97 ls but I'm scared of hydrolock. Though ive read about the bypass valve. I read that its still a possibility of getting hydrolock? I want that extra hp but should i just go for the short ram? I know i wouldn't purposely drive over huge puddles but I don't want ever having the chance of hydrolock. Please let me know about your experiences and opinions on it.

cborden

Jesus is THE way
I am interested in getting a cold air intake for my 97 ls but I'm scared of hydrolock. Though ive read about the bypass valve. I read that its still a possibility of getting hydrolock? I want that extra hp but should i just go for the short ram? I know i wouldn't purposely drive over huge puddles but I don't want ever having the chance of hydrolock. Please let me know about your experiences and opinions on it.
i like the weapon r secret weapon short ram with the ram air kit so when its raining out all you gotta do is disconnect the ram air and your safe then when its dry outside hook it back up and run like a cai

hen92

Ram air kit is basically addon to become a CAI? I just googled it and thats what it seems like to me. When i disconnect do i gotta take the whole thing out or just leave it there and itll be fine? Easy to disconnect and connect im guessing? How much HP does it add? With and without the ram air kit?

cborden

Jesus is THE way
i dont got numbers it just hooks onto the end or the filter with a clamp and when you take it off you can just leave it in there as long as its secure and doesnt fall out
just check out the reviews online for the intake thatll be alot more helpful than me
i gotta dyno mine and give it a tune

hen92

Does a ram air kit fit on any short ram? Does a CAI keep sucking in air regardless or only when you're accelerating?

jznsn2u

Theres another solution. DIY Ice Box :thumbs up

Dumpie1

Lower is better
Does a ram air kit fit on any short ram? Does a CAI keep sucking in air regardless or only when you're accelerating?

A short ram or CAI both suck in air when your driving, they basically allow your car to breathe more freely...

But with a CAI your car breathes in cooler air, thus your car would run better during the night time when temperatures are cooler or just throughout the winter when all there is cold air circulating.

ridered11

iv had my AEM cold air intake for almost a year and iv driven through snow and accidentaly hit big puddles and i have no bypass and mines never done a thing

it might just be im lucky as hell though

who knows

hen92

Could you just simply move the intake closer to your engine or is that too much of a hassle or not possible at all? (Like stock)

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
The risk of hydrolock from a CAI is overblown by some people. I had a CAI for 3 years and never had a problem.
When you have a CAI, the filter is inside the bumper, behind the pass side corner light, and protected on the backside by the wheel well liner. There's alot of things around it to keep large amounts of water from ever directly hitting it. Sure it'll get lightly splashed once in a while, not nearly enough to get sucked all the way up into the engine, that's a rarity.

As far as HP gains CAI vs. SRI, the difference between the two is so small you won't notice it, but to get technical:
When starting from a stop, the CAI has an advantage because it's breathing in cooler air from outside the engine bay. But after the car is moving, they are equal, both getting virtually the same temperature air. At higher speeds/rpm's, the SRI has the advantage because it is shorter, the engine has an easier time sucking air through the shorter, fatter SRI vs. the longer, skinnier CAI. Better throttle response.

mikekh10a

my friends RSX got hydro-locked just recently when that hurricane was supposedly heading to texas, luckily that same day i got my PWJDM intake. i suggest it for you if you really want the most out of your intake but you're scared of hydrolock. carbon fiber can withstand lots of heat, therefore the air is a bit cooler..or as i read at least

hen92

Could someone explain to me more about icebox or where I can find more info? I found another thread talking about it. and it mentions about putting a pcv pipe to extract some cold air for short ram? Would that be similar to a ram air kit? What about a icebox for a cold air intake? How does that work? I am very interested in getting a intake for my car and I want to make the right choice before i purchase one. Or am i better off just getting 2 and switching it off? Is it easy to disconnect a cold air intake and is it easy to take off the cold air intake filter? (like a stock easy)