correctly jacking up car and using stands

scarface1836

I was working under my car only using the the jack(feeling like I was going die) can anyone help me out and tell me how to jack the front of my car and fit the stands underneath? I tried jacking it from behind the front wheel but then the stand wont fit. is there anywhere besides this that I can jack it up from so I can actually fit the stands underneath?

mirrorimg

In the middle of the front of the car, behind the bumper, there is a metal jack point. It sticks down a little bit so it should be obvious. Other than that, I use the tow hooks if I need to get it up higher.

scarface1836

so i tried lifting it from the thing in the middle, but it wont raise high enough to get the stands under...where are the tow hooks you speak of located?

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
You might be using truck jack stands; get lower-profile jack stands. Also, are you using a floor/racing jack or a regular screw jack or bottle jack?

cyclotegra

What type of jack are you using? The one for changing tires, or a floor jack?

Biggie mac, you beat me to it,,lol...that is the key question here

scarface1836

im using a floor jack, hydrolic(sp?) I barrowd the car stands and jack from a buddy of mine who has a honda fit, so im assuming that there must be a ay to get the under there

cyclotegra

im using a floor jack, hydrolic(sp?) I barrowd the car stands and jack from a buddy of mine who has a honda fit, so im assuming that there must be a ay to get the under there
if you have a floor jack, and its hydraulic, I dont see why it wont lift it far enough to fit some stands under there....i suppose try smaller stands like bigmac said

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
^yeah thats asking for the car to fall. put the stands on the lowest setting, jack the car as high as it will go and put em under. should just be that simple

AcurInteg96

Just call me chris.
I used my brothers jack and it was able to raise my car about 2.5 feet off the ground and we put the jackstands under the sway bar bushings and it held firm.

scarface1836

for some reason the jack i am using does not want to go high enough to get the stands under at the lowest setting....im looking for a piece of wood to put on the jack to help it out a little

AcurInteg96

Just call me chris.
whats the maximum height for the jack. it may simply just not be big enough. i know my girlfriends dads is too small to jack up either end. you have to factor in how much the jack has to raise just to reach the bottom of the car, plus how suspension travel before the wheels come off the ground. then add about 10 inches to that and that number is how far the jack needs to be able to lift at the least.

guiltyxxspark

Internet Hate Machine
My dad has a car lift... I still have to jack my car up to get the arms under but after that it's eeeeeasy.