Engine Revs High After Parking

Noneed2Hate

Okay so I just installed a DC sports front strut bar yesterday. After installing and driving it around a few times I noticed that when I put the car into park it revs to about 2k. Never experienced the issue before the install aside from the variable idle I have due to a vacuum leak.

Now the installation instructions had me move the cruise control cable underneath the bracket it sits on, and move the throttle cable to where the cruise control cable was. (The bracket by the drivers side strut tower) Instructions called for ziptieing both of them together since the cruise control cable was no longer popped into the bracket and was just hanging there. The cables are now curled in towards the drivers seat due to the big strut laying there and obstructing their "natural placement" I suppose. I am thinking this is the culprit.

So I'm thinking I'll just move the cables back to their positions on the bracket and just ignore the instructions but also don't want anything rubbing or potentially breaking because of "improper placement"

Has anyone else experienced this? Thoughts? Couldn't find anything about this.

Last edited:

Noneed2Hate

Oh okay, so then I don't need to move anything, I just have to adjust the throttle cable, thanks! :)

Nick_C78

Post a pic of how the throttle cable is mounted as well.

But I agree that you simply made it too tight.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I had the same issue when i removed the brake booster a while ago. You dont really need the bracket. I cant run one with my 3 point strut bar.

Noneed2Hate

alright so I loosened the throttle cable a little bit, and it' sitting at about 1.5k while in park so I may loosen it just a tad more, but otherwise it's riding a lot better than before.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Turn the throttle pulley clockwise with your hand to force it closed. If the rpms drop from 1.5 to normal then that is the source of the "vac leak". The throttle cable may still be an issue or the throttle plate may be sticking in which case you'll need to clean out the throttle body. You can even try removing the throttle cable entire from the pulley to confirm if that is the cause of the plate opening during idle and the high rpm.

*Make sure you conduct these tests on a fully warmed up engine where the normal idle rpm would be ~800rpm.

Noneed2Hate

Turn the throttle pulley clockwise with your hand to force it closed. If the rpms drop from 1.5 to normal then that is the source of the "vac leak". The throttle cable may still be an issue or the throttle plate may be sticking in which case you'll need to clean out the throttle body. You can even try removing the throttle cable entire from the pulley to confirm if that is the cause of the plate opening during idle and the high rpm.

*Make sure you conduct these tests on a fully warmed up engine where the normal idle rpm would be ~800rpm.
I'll probably pull the throttle body off this weekend to give it a good cleaning, have a new gasket all set with some sealer ready to be put on as well.

Also I should be conducting these tests with the car on right? So I can notice the change in rpms?