Exhaust, and ecu questions

rivman05

Howdy,
I'm new to the honda scene. I've read some but I have a question about exhausts. I have a bone stock 94 teg ls 5spd. Looking to build up some power by going n/a as turbo isn't really my style. Been looking at headers, cai's, cat back exhausts. I know there is a difference between the rs/ls and the gsr/type r cars. My question is, are there any high flow cats that are stock length, I haven't been finding much that I can tag as a stock fit replacement? The 4-2-1 header is stock length that I've been looking at, and the cat back, well is self explanatory. Also, how would one go about tuning? In our shop the newest thing is 78 eldo, with out saying I'm out of my norm. Any help would be awesome guys, thanks

Gabe

mteg

Automatic Lover
Howdy,
I'm new to the honda scene. I've read some but I have a question about exhausts. I have a bone stock 94 teg ls 5spd. Looking to build up some power by going n/a as turbo isn't really my style. Been looking at headers, cai's, cat back exhausts. I know there is a difference between the rs/ls and the gsr/type r cars. My question is, are there any high flow cats that are stock length, I haven't been finding much that I can tag as a stock fit replacement? The 4-2-1 header is stock length that I've been looking at, and the cat back, well is self explanatory. Also, how would one go about tuning? In our shop the newest thing is 78 eldo, with out saying I'm out of my norm. Any help would be awesome guys, thanks

Gabe
High flow cats are a waste unless it's time to replace..you might pick up 1-2hp at best. If cat is going, pick up something like a carsound and take to muffler shop and have them install. Then take your cat in to salvage yard and get no less than $50 for it-wrecked or not. Or just put a test pipe in.

96GSRteg

Tyler
Lol you make an argument for not putting in a high flow cat because you don't get any gains, and then you suggest a test pipe.

Op they make them all in different lengths and sizes because people run lots of different setups. I'd suggest measuring what size you need and get it. I don't remember the stock LS size off the top of my head.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

99TegLs

I think he suggested the test pipe because of cost. However, I would never run a test pipe. It sounds horrible and its not good for the environment. Also it soots up your back bumper

rivman05

Thanks fpr the advice guys. I think Ill wait for the entire setup to arrive then Ill just take it down to our local exhaust shop and have them do the install and get a new cat measured and put in, as I dont think WA state troopers would appreciate running off headers again. I had that happen in my dads Edsel on the way to the shop to get the 50+ yr old pipes swapped but fell apart 8 inches behind the ex manifolds. I didnt' know that bone yards took in cats for cash.

njhustler

I would disagree about the no gains with the test pipe. I have the 2 1/4 blox test pipe that is telescopic and rotates to fit alot of setups. ( thnx tunersports.com). There is a nice gain when I throw that on compared to the stock cat. I do agree about the noise though. My exhaust gets really loud with the test pipe. I can only tolerate it for a while before I put the stock one back in. Also the exhaust stinks.

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
High flow cats are a waste unless it's time to replace..you might pick up 1-2hp at best. If cat is going, pick up something like a carsound and take to muffler shop and have them install. Then take your cat in to salvage yard and get no less than $50 for it-wrecked or not. Or just put a test pipe in.
A round of applause for this fucking wank. My mind is so blown that I can't even begin to properly insult your lack of intelligence, mostly out of fear that you're not even going to understand that concept. 36 years old :roll:

SeanDA9

Lol you make an argument for not putting in a high flow cat because you don't get any gains, and then you suggest a test pipe.

Op they make them all in different lengths and sizes because people run lots of different setups. I'd suggest measuring what size you need and get it. I don't remember the stock LS size off the top of my head.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2
I think he means from switching a properly functioning cat to a high flow cat. Because a "high flow" cat is still restricting exhaust flow. Now if the old cat is plugged up and you switch to a "high flow" it will likely feel more powerful, but then again replacing with another oem cat will generally yield the same result. That is my 2 cents. :what:

mteg

Automatic Lover
A round of applause for this f***ing wank. My mind is so blown that I can't even begin to properly insult your lack of intelligence, mostly out of fear that you're not even going to understand that concept. 36 years old :roll:
Yes, if your not smart enough to understand what I wrote, then maybe a few more years workng on cars and reading about what others have done might educate you. Pulling a good cat to replace with a hi-flow one is pointless. You show me a dyno of a hi-pro cat outperforming a new oem cat (over 2hp) and I''ll believe the claim. If his cat is going, then it makes sense to upgrade...and to get the $50 that any cat out of a teg is worth to offset the cost. If you didnt realize that they are worth money, now you know. A testpipe is proven to gain power-yes bad for the enviroment, yes illegal,yes noisy, yes might make your bumper dirty...but honestly who cares? Don't mod your car if your worried about that stuff. Test pipe cost from $10 (cost for pipe and flanges and weld yourself) to $ 100 vs. high flow cat- $200+ (which still usually needs to be welded. My point was, there are better ways to spend your money for power gains. You want real power gains from cat-then put a test pipe on.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
um hmm since you guys are experts at working on cars and everything. Anyone care to mention the pros and cons of a cat vs a test pipe? You are going to lose low end torque with a test pipe. Plus it makes zero sense to put one on a stock car. ZERO sense...especially if you are obd2

rivman05

The car is obd 1. I was just asking for basic advice, as I havent ever built an import before. I have what I want figured out now. Thanks to those who offered some help.