Exhaust heat shields?

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
The rattling stopped right after I installed my DC Sports header. I kind of missed the rattling, as weird as it sounds. I saw it as a signal towards other drivers that I had VTEC. I noticed that for some reason, the rattling never occurred on the non-VTEC models.

t_ngooyen

The rattling stopped right after I installed my DC Sports header. I kind of missed the rattling, as weird as it sounds. I saw it as a signal towards other drivers that I had VTEC. I noticed that for some reason, the rattling never occurred on the non-VTEC models.
Haha i never thought about it that way :suprise:

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
lol i just dont want shit to catch fire or something like that
You can remove the exhaust manifold heat shield. There is little danger in not having the heat shield installed. Think about it. If you were to get an aftermarket header, you wouldn't have a heat shield anymore. So there's no need to worry.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
Haha i never thought about it that way :suprise:
Yup. Whenever an old Civic would pull up to me and I heard the rattling, I knew it was a sleeper with some sort of B-Series VTEC engine. I'm not totally sure, but my uncle who was the previous owner of my old DB8 told me that the rattling occurred because the cams were starting to change profiles. (Please do not quote me on this.) :mrgreen:

ssbp dc2

You can remove the exhaust manifold heat shield. There is little danger in not having the heat shield installed. Think about it. If you were to get an aftermarket header, you wouldn't have a heat shield anymore. So there's no need to worry.
what about the heat shields under the car?

t_ngooyen

Haha that sound used to bug me, but thinking about it that way makes it seem pretty cool lmfaoo! :D

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
what about the heat shields under the car?
If you have the OEM exhaust, they shouldn't be rattling. The only time they become an issue is when you get an aftermarket exhaust. Sometimes the B-Pipe isn't designed properly and ends up touching the heat shield closest to the catalytic converter. This is what happened after I installed my A'PEXi WS2 cat-back exhaust. I simply removed the heat shield and the rattling was gone. Many Integra owners have removed the heat shields and I've yet to hear about an incident where the car would catch on fire. Like I've said before, there is no need to worry about removiing the heat shields.