head gasket change question

jessesandy

Changing the head gasket on a 1990 Integra RS.
To be able to pull the exhaust manifold away from the head is it easier to:
- unbolt the flange at the bottom of the manifold ?
- separate the exhaust at the catalytic converter (and also a mount bracket, I think) ?
- Would there be enough play to pull the exhaust manifold off the bolt studs by just unbolting the
mountig brackets along the exhaust ?
Or is there another option ?

Thanks,
Todd H.

Last edited:

Prozon

Kris
I unbolted the manifold from the block and just pulled it away and lowered it. Without unbolting anything else. Should be enough room to pull it off the studs in the head. Not sure what mounting bracket you're referring to. If anything just unbolt the pipe that the manifold bolts to right under it.

WDEDMON1

I think I know which bracket u r tlkin bout. Its close to the oil pan? I think its just one bolt and its only a support bracket. I didnt reinstall it after I put the manifold back on

Prozon

Kris
I think I may know what you're referring to.. in which case my engine didn't have it either lol.

WDEDMON1

ok well cool. I dont think u should have any problems after removing the manifold bolts. Its a little tough to pull off but it should come out pretty easy

jessesandy

Thanks everyone.
There was one thick bracket at the bottom of the manifold that had to come off (the one with one bolt).
Then, it still seemed a little too hard to pull off so I took off the thin bracket hanging down from the back of the motor and the manifold came off easy.

Any recomendations on a brand or type of gasket to use or not to use ?

Thanks,
Todd H.

DenySHIFT

i just ordered a felpro set yesterday from shucks for $100.
car quest has one for $200 that was oem quality.. i just got the cheaper one cause i been broke lately.
but i was also wondering what brands are good or crap

Prozon

Kris
I bought a $50 head gasket. However rebuilding my engine now and i'm getting a full gasket kit. Not sure on the price though, machine shop ordered it. I will let you know on the brand when I pick it up though.

I wouldn't stress too much about gasket brands. It's not a real big deal, they're made to do a job and they should do just that. I've done a few head gasket jobs and I've never had complaints about the head gaskets going bad again. Just torque it right and make sure you get your head machined because chances are it will have been warped a little. Maybe even cracked.

Last edited:

DenySHIFT

Got my head pressure tested and shaved for about $75.. the guy took off a lot.. it was in bad condition my engine overheated pretty bad. Im just glad it wasn't cracked

Prozon

Kris
Mine was pressure tested and just a little tiny taken off. $50 if I remember correctly. Great machine shop.

Prozon

Kris
I do not believe so. The heads generally have a certain amount of material that can be removed without needing anything.
They also sell head "shims" in the case that the head is taken down that much, I have not seen them on Honda motors, but I just recently had to get some for a Jeep in my shop.

jessesandy

Got the head/intake off the car and it looks like I broke part of the PCV system.
The hose from the bottom of the PCV valve goes down to a plastic plastic fitting on something buried under the support bracket for the intake manifold. The plastic hose fitting snapped off.
Does this sound familiar to anyone ?
Thanks,
Todd H.

Last edited:

Prozon

Kris
There is a black box that bolts to the back of the block, which has two hoses coming out. One goes to the intake, the other to the block. Is the fittings in that what you're referring to?

jessesandy

Yes, that sounds exactly right. What the hell is it for ?!? The Haynes manual mentions a "blow-by filter" but doesn't give details.
It looks like a basic PCV system would be complete without it. Just go from crankcase to check valve to intake manifold.
In stead of crankcase to black box to check valve to intake manifold. (With filtered air supplied to the valve cover, of course.)