Help.... car died while driving to work

BA90LS

Was driving to work this morning at half throttle and it just died. I drifted to the side of the road and it came back for a split second and backfired a few times n died again... I cranked it over and it just backfired poof popping sounds out the exhaust pipe... First major thing that happened since I've owned it and don't know much about it and Im stumped... 1990 3 Dr ls dohc... I've replaced the valve cover gasket... Distributor cap n rotor n cap gasket....and spark plugs a few months ago

BA90LS

I dunno yet im at work and its along side the road till Im done then i am gettin dropped off to try to start itit or get it towed... also remember it has been making a noise like a tire leaking air while running for a while nowbut could never find where its coming from

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
no i dont remember it was making a funny noise.
But once you get to your car its going to be hard to tell if its the dizzy unless you just run it

TeknoStatik87

In Reason We Trust.
Start by checking that the distributor rotor has not come loose, if it has it will spin around and randomly give you that backfire while trying to start.

A garage told me I busted my timing belt and needed a new engine... bunch of asses, my timing belt was fine! it was a simple screw that came off of the rotor on the dizzy.

BA90LS

Oh thank god that was it..... The little rotor screw fell out.... Put it back in and started right up... Thank u guys so much... Ur awesome

TeknoStatik87

In Reason We Trust.
Oh thank god that was it..... The little rotor screw fell out.... Put it back in and started right up... Thank u guys so much... Ur awesome
Nice, keep an eye on it though, it fell out on me like 3 times before I finally put blue lock-tite on that little heffer flat-head. After that I had no more problems with it.

Blakexvx

I had that happen to me a few months ago in a parking garage.
Bought a complete distributor to turn off my check engine light and after a month of using it
the damn rotor screw came loose and ate all the plastic inside and ruined my coil.

Lesson learned: check all tightness on new parts haha