Help with headlights (delayed turning on in the cold)

bkirshr

User that is Registered
Hey guys, I've been having this problem as of late when it's cold outside. Whenever I flip the switch to turn on the headlights, the parking lights turn on, but the headlights are delayed, sometimes up to 10 minutes..I was wondering if anyone has ever had this issue and fixed it or knows what it could be. I do have HID's, however, I plugged in a halogen bulb as well, and the same thing happened. The weird part of it is that the high beams work even when the headlights aren't, and both lights always come on at the same time.

My personal feeling is that it may be something in the switch inside the car, since the high beams work, and both headlights come on together, so it's obviously before those things in the circuit.. I haven't gotten to look at it a whole lot yet, but I figured I'd post anyway.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Sammich

possibly the ballast...how cold is it generally when u turning them on? probably takes a while for the ballast to warm up

UalRamper

SO I thought I was the only one with a wierd problem.

Sometimes in the cold my Radio, door locks(alarm), and lighter wont turn on for any range of time . could be a minute, could be 5.

I always felt it was a relay that was getting stuck because of the cold and when it warmed up it would close.

I havent realy looked into to much but it could just be the same for you. Figured I would give you my opinion so that you could use it to figure it out. your lights are a bit more important then my radio.

emd513

Relay not engaging or switch. Not the ballast. I run hid and mine at 10 degrees turn on immediately.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

bkirshr

User that is Registered
possibly the ballast...how cold is it generally when u turning them on? probably takes a while for the ballast to warm up
I dont think its a ballast only because the regular stock bulb had the same problem.

SO I thought I was the only one with a wierd problem.

Sometimes in the cold my Radio, door locks(alarm), and lighter wont turn on for any range of time . could be a minute, could be 5.

I always felt it was a relay that was getting stuck because of the cold and when it warmed up it would close.

I havent realy looked into to much but it could just be the same for you. Figured I would give you my opinion so that you could use it to figure it out. your lights are a bit more important then my radio.
interesting, I took a quick look at the relay, but didnt see anything wrong with it. I may try to get a new one and see if that works though

Relay not engaging or switch. Not the ballast. I run hid and mine at 10 degrees turn on immediately.

thanks for the input guys!

UalRamper

Yeah you wont see anything wrong with the relay because its sealed, you could take it out and test it but again unless you can simulate the cold before you test it that prob wont work.

They really arent that much money that you couldnt get a new one and slap it in and see how it goes.

bkirshr

User that is Registered
So I looked up the wiring diagram for the headlights and after going through it I feel like it's the switch. I highlighted the part where I think the problem is, based on how everything else works. what do you guys think?

UalRamper

The only reason I dont like the switch idea is because once it makes contact when engaged it should either work and make the connection or not work at all.

if the lights were flashing or going on and off I would then say you have a short when the light switch is one.

But since nothing happens at all then they come one and stay one I still like one of the relays for the culprit.

Just my .02

bkirshr

User that is Registered
The only reason I dont like the switch idea is because once it makes contact when engaged it should either work and make the connection or not work at all.

if the lights were flashing or going on and off I would then say you have a short when the light switch is one.

But since nothing happens at all then they come one and stay one I still like one of the relays for the culprit.

Just my .02
actually I never thought of it like that..that totally makes sense. I just dont know where else it could be happening since they both turn on the same, but the high beams work all the time

UalRamper

There are two more relays down line from your red circle that operate the low beams, they could be your culprit.

If the lights were dim then I would say you have a corrosion and resistance problem but since they come one after the time then again I still have to lean to the relay side of things.

the more we talk about it the more we can eliminate as the problem haha

bkirshr

User that is Registered
I see where you are talking about, those are the fuses under the dash (correct?). I just don't see how it can effect both lights the same being in parallel like that

UalRamper

Yeah true, they are all listed as fuse and no relay is listed.

which brings us back to square one.

FAWK !!

UalRamper

Good luck,

I have to dig out my wiring diagram and see what it looks like I know there is a relay in there somewhere

I'll keep an eye out on this thread

emd513

Your headlight relay should be on the fuse box as well. I believe anyways. Best to go ahead and change your fuses while your there to make sure there worth a crap and not corroding in the box.