high compression b18b1

rivman05

I have looked at others build threads, and wondering if anyone would happen to know if there are any under 10:1 compression pistons for a b18b1. I haven't found any online. Im looking for right around 9.8, possible 10.0 but no higher as the crap gas that is here where Im at in AK would knock/ping like hell. I know the stock compression is 9.2 or is said to be. If I can't find any pistons does anyone know how much a head would have to be shaved to get a slight compression bump? I have never had a head shaved, in all my big block motors I've always been able to find higher compression pistons. The head would have to be sent to Anchorage to get shaved adn they asked how much would I need to have shaved. Thanks.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
you can do other things besides pistons to get higher compression like flat faced valves, or a thinner head gasket, or deck the head

rivman05

Cool. Thanks, Im looking at getting another head if things pan out right, Is there enough quench space to have the head decked and use a thinner head gasket?

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
If its a plain ol b18b don't waste your time. If you're building towards some big project you should do it altogether. What are you trying to accomplish?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
-How do you know 9.8 is OK but not 10.0?
-Even if 10:1 static compression was detonating you would simply retard timing.
-Fine tuning static compression (0.2) isn't that important. Static compression is relative as you can make up for total cylinder pressure with different camshafts and ignition advance.
-Honestly this is a total waste of time and money. You'll get a very minimal power increase from a 0.6 compression bump.

rivman05

Well I am planning on doing a set of crower cams, intake manifold, I have a complete exhaust and header at my brothers house already. Not looking for any one specific power goal. Driving the Alcan (alaska canada highway) was not very fun due to having to constantly down shift. Looking for a broader power band that might allow me to just cruise up a hill in 4th, as it dropped down too far in 5th, and going to 3rd is beating the piss out of it. If i could gain some more torque out of it life would be easier. I could do the timing retard if I knew how or anyone here in Bethel which is never going to happen. The car is gettig shipped out to Bethel in about a month. Im planning on going back to Anchorage but for now I need somethign to drive here.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Forget all that. Get a gsr/b16/itr trans. Or pair that with B20 swap. Top it off with a intake and increased diameter exhaust setup if desired.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Looking for a broader power band that might allow me to just cruise up a hill in 4th.
You want low end torque but to make serious torque in a 1.8L non vtec you need forced induction or serious compression and increased displacement. I dont think you have the resources available to make that happen (octane limited, no tuners, no shops). Maybe consider an engine swap. H22 or J series are big and don't need high octane fuel.

rivman05

I know there not known for their torque. I have thought of an engine swap but dont know enough about honda products to know which to shoot for. I do have a spare 3.8 turbo out of a T-type 80's regal, and my old 455 stage 2 motor from my 72 Riviera. I have thought of a k-swap but at the moment not feasible. What would a b20 like to swap in? Would the ecu plug in? The tuning could be done if I had someone come out, which would be a $500 airline ticket which I could do after pfd's come out in October.

rivman05

Thanks. That makes me start to rethink my plan. I have thought of supercharging it tho, as I have a blower from a totaled Mazda Millenia.

Last edited:

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Yeah you could supercharge but the counter clockwise rotation of your engine means you cant use a blower from another car without fabrication. You could look for a used JRSC kit for an LS but they aren't that cheap and the results really aren't that great. Plus you'd still have to fly in a tuner. A motor swap is still the cheapest and easiest solution. H22/H23 are cheap and big. J30/J32 V6 would give you gobs of torque. Run the stock Ecu for the swap and enjoy the reliability.

Nick_C78

Just get a 98+ Type R tranny and be done with it. If all you want is to pull a hill then that should do it. or do what Nemesis said and get a B20, pair it with a Type R transmission and get some minor bolt ons (Header, intake, exhaust). That can all be had for under $3k and have you ready to roll.