How much weight can the roof hold?

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
So i'm in a bit of a pinch and may not be able to get my hands on some roof-racks before I move, I have an old cargo carrier I was thinking about using. Strapped it to my wife's roof (98 Rav4) and was shocked how quickly the roof started to bend under the tension from the straps, haven't had a chance to throw it on the teg yet but I'm worried it will bend too and not hold much weight.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I was thinking of rolling up some towels and placing them along the sides so that it doesn't sit directly on the roof and places more of the weight on the outside.

I believe its the same carrier as pictured below.

Thanks!
- Aaron

R13

The other asshole
Well... I've stood on the roof of my dc2 and it didn't even feel soft, and I weighed in around 200-205lbs at the time.

I'm not gonna make any promises, but it held me pretty well.

I would recommend putting a thick blanket between the cargo box and the roof if you do it though.

SoundEfx

Well... I've stood on the roof of my dc2 and it didn't even feel soft, and I weighed in around 200-205lbs at the time.

I'm not gonna make any promises, but it held me pretty well.

I would recommend putting a thick blanket between the cargo box and the roof if you do it though.
Were you standing on the center of the roof?