JemmieN's 96 Milano Red DC4

JemmieN

not a girl lol
Okay bad news everybody.

While driving home from work one night, I heard a weird clacking sound. Drove home, popped the hood and started investigating looking for anything strange. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary so I went to bed and called up my friend to diagnose the sound. After a while of checking some things out, he concluded that I had a rod knock :(.....That weekend we planned on some maintenance work (axles, oil change, spark plugs, fuel filter, motor mounts) even before the engine started knocking so we did that and after draining the oil we found metal shavings in the oil....

The car is now parked at said friend's house until we find a new motor.

I'll try to keep you guys updated with pics and other stuff!

Last edited:

JemmieN

not a girl lol
Picked up my new motor today. Gotta order a few things before I drop it in. Hopefully it will be done by this weekend.

JemmieN

not a girl lol
Okay well I forgot to take pictures and update this whenever I first bought the motor but it is a JDM B20B with 30k miles! I swapped everything from the B18B1 to the B20B because I was told that the old motor was OBD1 and the new one OBD2...not sure how true it is but the car is working properly. This is my first motor swap so I called up my buddy to help out, he did most of it lol.

So the swap is finished and the car has never felt better! Its more comfortable and more responsive since I've changed many things (axles, motor mounts, etc.) Took me and my friend like 2 1/2 days. I still need to get lower ball joints and outer tie rods but pretty much everything else is new. Not many pics since I was too busy and didn't want to get my phone dirty lol

1st set of things I bought. Honda timing belt, water pump, some belts for AC and the alternator, oil, and coolant.

Motor is out.

Old B18B1 stripped. Thing was so dirty. I had to swap everything from the B18B1 to the B20B but it wasn't that bad.

Piles of the parts from both motors as well as the transmission......and dog poop

Found out I had an Exedy clutch! My new clutch and flywheel don't come in until Friday but I needed the car up ASAP...I'll just swap them out when the old clutch goes out lol

Transmission with some degreaser on. I did take off the speed sensor before spraying it so don't insane!

Transmission cleaned and attached to the B20B

Motor before cleaning.

Degreaser on the motor.

Sprayed it down, letting it dry. Doesn't look much different in the pictures but in person it looks so much better than before.

My buddy who helped me out with my first swap taking off the rear motor mount!

Motor assembled!

Tease it...tease it...

Bolting down the motor to the chassis!

Everything is done!! Just in time for me to make it to work lol

Last edited:

MiketheDyke

My job is clean toilets
Nice work! That's one clean looking engine bay.

94RS

No fucks given.
Well that sucks about the motor. What all did you swap out from the B18 to the B20? I've looked a while back because I want to do the swap when the time comes and I read that all you need to swap is the intake mani, header and dizzy over if you're converting OBDII to OBDI.

And you must have a really REALLY early 96 or something, I thought that's when Integra's switched over to OBDII?

JustinMcGee1

I like Hondas
Well that sucks about the motor. What all did you swap out from the B18 to the B20? I've looked a while back because I want to do the swap when the time comes and I read that all you need to swap is the intake mani, header and dizzy over if you're converting OBDII to OBDI.

And you must have a really REALLY early 96 or something, I thought that's when Integra's switched over to OBDII?
Yeah 96+ for integras is definitely OBDII

JemmieN

not a girl lol
Here's what happened to the old motor....Basically the water pump went bad and it messed up my oil pressure because my car did overheat once. That was enough to starve one of the cylinders of oil and cause it to knock. Atleast that's what my buddy told me LOL! I suck at these kind of things.

How do the power with a b20 feel compared to the b18b1
I haven't pushed it yet and I don't plan to for a while. Letting everything settle in but I do feel a lot more torque around 3300 RPM compared to the B18B1

Nice work! That's one clean looking engine bay.
Thanks! it's actually very very dirty lol....I wanted to clean it but time did not permit.

You heard right! I swapped all those parts as well as the brackets for AC and PS. Everything that I've swapped from the B18B1 fitted with a little persuasion on a few things. Most annoying thing was the AC bracket which is held on by 4 bolts....the lower motor mount was bad so we swapped it and then it worked fine.

Sweet progress Jemmie! This is inspiring.
Thanks Joe! I really wished I could've repainted the engine and clean up the bay real nicely but time was very very short. Didn't even get to install my new clutch and flywheel because time was so short LOL (Those come in this Friday).

Ouch!! sorry to hear about the motor. Glad that you got it all settled out already. :thumbs up
Yeah I was very shocked when I found out that the motor was bad. Time to save up for new suspension and wheels again lol

JemmieN

not a girl lol
My clutch and flywheel just came in earlier than expected lol. I'll hold on to them until my old clutch is dead. Also my buddy gave me a replica Spoon twin loop exhaust. He has the same one on his wife's Civic and I'm not gonna lie, it sounds nice and quiet.

Last edited: