Locked out of all gears except 2nd

Sammich

Traveling home from work...roughly a 20 mile trip one way...come to a stop light..i pull off 1st to 2nd...fine...2nd to 3rd..nothing, i'm locked out of all gears except 2nd. so i limp my car home in 2nd gear...are there any ideas you guys have on this?

FYI i had absolutely no symptoms warning of anything going bad, except the onslaught of multiple various issues i've had w/ this car the last few months

Also: the clutch, flywheel are new and it's a B16 cable transmission that i purchased that worked great since day one it was installed for a bump transmission...

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
its part of the transmission that selects the gear. that could have become bent possibly.

Sammich

sounds like it's an interior portion of the transmission i'm guessing? also sounds like it's for an auto..mine is manual...

95B18BTurbo

It's most likely the 1-2 shift fork. If you can get the trans to Ashby I'm sure he could order what is broken and have it fixed in a hot minute.

Sammich

i've never pulled a trans the one time i had a possible opportunity to help drop one i missed out on when Matt worked on it to put the new stuff in.

TheCrimsonStar

i've never pulled a trans the one time i had a possible opportunity to help drop one i missed out on when Matt worked on it to put the new stuff in.
It's pretty simple. It can be done with one person but two is recommended to make it a lot easier.

Jack the car up, put it on jack stands. Put a jack with a 2x4 on it under the oil pan to support the engine when you disconnect the mounts for the tranny. Disconnect the battery (don't have to but it's always better to be safe than sorry). Disconnect all wires and clips etc from the tranny. Remember to unplug the speed sensor. Put an oil pan under the tranny and drain the fluid. Once the fluid is drained, pull the wheels off and disconnect the axles from the tranny. Unbolt and disconnect the intermediate shaft from the driver's side of the tranny. Disconnect the shift linkages. Put a jack under the tranny to support it and take the mounts loose (front of the tranny, top of tranny and behind it as well.) Have someone help you here. Unbolt all the bolts connecting the tranny to the engine and use a pry bar or big screwdriver to separate it from the engine. Wiggle it off the flywheel/clutch assembly and lower it to the ground and you're done. I'm sure there's a more detailed write up somewhere but I'm on break at work and I'm bored. Lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Last edited: