massive coolant loss

arik19

About 2 weeks ago I replaced the thermostat after having an overheating problem. Yesterday I'm sitting at a stop light and hear "psssshhhh" sound and started steaming pretty bad. Lost pretty much all the coolant that was in the car. After pulling over and looking for the problem I didn't find much. Asked some people and they said it could be the intake manifold gasket blew. Is that possible? Would I lose coolant through the IM? If not what else could it be?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
radiator ca or head gasket. Intake manifold doesnt hold coolant. There are 4 lines that go to it, IACV, has 2 lines and the TB has 2 lines. But the intake manifold itself does not hold coolant

arik19

That's what I thought. So replacing the IM gasket would do nothing to fix that problem right? God I hope it's not the head gasket...

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
where did the water come from? Head gasket wouldnt blow like that

arik19

I honestly couldn't tell. There was water/coolant all over the passenger side of the engine bay. Could it have came from the t-stat housing? After I pulled over ysterday and let it cool down I added some coolant and drive it home as I was only 1-2 minutes from my house and when I got out of the car I noticed a trail of coolant from where I was driving on the road so it's stedily leaking when I'm driving. Wasn't leaking after I put the coolant in before I started it up again to drive it home.

Ryan659

Probably a hose. Clean it up real good and then run it with the hood open and start looking for where it's coming from.

arik19

I visiblely inspected the bottom and top hose from the radiator and they both looked fine. No holes, no tears, no blow outs. Other hoses I should check?

Ryan659

I visiblely inspected the bottom and top hose from the radiator and they both looked fine. No holes, no tears, no blow outs. Other hoses I should check?
There's about 5 or 6 heater hoses. I can take a pic of them tonight for you if you want or you can probably find them with google.

Ryan659

If you never replaced them it's probably one of them. And if one goes, it's time to replace them all

arik19

Do those 5 or 6 include the top and bottom hoses I mentioned or is there 5 or 6 other hoses?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Theres 2 rad hoses, water neck, few coolant lines that run from t stat to heater core, TB, IACV. Fill the car with coolant, and turn it on and wait to see it leak

arik19

I found the problem. It's the breather heater hose next to the upper rad hose. Would still love them pics though if you get a chance.

Ryan659

Focus on the tip of the pencil/pen

Inlet hose to the firewall:

Outlet hose from the firewall

Trace the previous one and you'll find several other ones here

In that spot there will be 2
(one skinny that looks like an S and bigger one that looks like an U)

You'll see this next one below the dizzy (it's a completely different hose than the inlet one pictured earlier)

Follow that one and you'll see it connect to a hard plastic piece

That hard plastic piece will have two other hose that connect the intake to the valve cover and you don't need to worry about those ones. But there will be another one that connects to the hard plastic piece that connects to the previous hose pictured.

It'll look like this, near the fuel line:

And I believe that's all of them. Replace them all at once, otherwise they'll just keep breaking on you one at a time. and it's easier replacing them all at once anyways.

Last edited: