Neons footwell wiring question

stewy485

FlyingCaesar
Hey I'm down.
Did you think about my above post of you making a DIY cause idk about anyone else but i am a VERY visual person...If i see someone do then I know i can. Think about it otherwise I might just have to ask you a hundred questions lol

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
Hey I'm down.
Did you think about my above post of you making a DIY cause idk about anyone else but i am a VERY visual person...If i see someone do then I know i can. Think about it otherwise I might just have to ask you a hundred questions lol
I made a DIY for a Main Relay Kill Switch a while back but it didn't get stickied. When someone asks about kill switches in that forum they're still directed toward bad write-ups about fuel kill switches which are ineffective. Doesn't much seem like it's worth the effort. All the info is here for anyone who searches for it. Sucks that they have to scroll and click through 5 pages but that's what it is.

Q/A is much more comprehensive anyway. It's difficult for me to imagine things from a noobs perspective. So in that case, everyone who asks good questions deserves some credit! And the OP of course.

God I hate the word "noob".

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
Also, can I ask you how a DIY would be different? Wouldn't I have to buy and install neons in my car? Sorry but there's no way that's going to happen :roll:

Maybe someone in this thread can take some pictures and document their experiences in a new thread and I can comment on it and provide the diagrams.

stewy485

FlyingCaesar
Just a suggestion...and I thought you said you were going to try this and troubleshoot it.... I thought since you were going to go through it might as well take a few pics. Anyway, I would love your help and I will ask you plenty of questions.

But i do have a question. I am assuming you solder the diodes to the wire connecting to the relay and such. do you just wrap electrical tape around it so it doesnt short out?

Last edited:

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
I don't need neons to bench test it. I can use the multimeter or a light or even just a resistor. Hopefully I'll get a chance to do that. Cold ass weather is a demotivator. I'm also finishing an Associates Degree so we'll see how much homework I get.

Diodes can be difficult to connect. Solder is more reliable and cleaner than crimping for diodes. I have a drawer full of diode packs that come with DEI remote start alarms and I typically use those. Otherwise I will take some heat shrink and make a Y shape, with a straight piece of heat shrink over that. Electric tape works but it's a bit of a pain.

stewy485

FlyingCaesar
when you get time could you send me a pic of what you are talking about. I think i know what you are saying but i pic would help...I understand what you are talking about i am in the same boat im a freshmen at a university so no time for shit right now either.

Adriannyo

Okay, I got my lights to work on a switch.

Now, how do I wire the relay and lights up to my LED switch?

Correct me where I'm wrong:
GROUND: chassis(?)
LOAD: neon's ground(?)
SUPPLY: cable directly to constant 12v on fuse box

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
Do you still have the packaging for that switch? I'd like to see the wiring diagram on the back before I comment. Since something went wrong, it's time to go back and triple check everything.

And no, the way you have it wont work.

Adriannyo

Do you still have the packaging for that switch? I'd like to see the wiring diagram on the back before I comment. Since something went wrong, it's time to go back and triple check everything.

And no, the way you have it wont work.
There is no diagram. Only a sticker which labels the three prongs:
EARTH
LOAD
SUPPLY

Earth, of course, is ground.
Load is what the switch is controlling (the lights on/off)
Supply is the power going to the switch for it's LED and
also the way the lights get their power.

jbrown97ls

i wish i had the motivation/time to tackle a project like this. not neons for the foot well per say , but a good challenging project where i could learn a lot. props to OP!