Pick My Tires With Me, Because Tire Review Sites Suck.

Cnsnnt_Mn

The Teg: Dark Green '96 daily driver. Bought used, recently. Good price. Runs fine.

The Bad News: Sidewall blowout.

The Good News: Only going 35 mph on uncrowded street.

(The Takeaway: When purchasing any car, be sure to check the BACK of the tires as well. They're all rotting and pathetic, but look fine from the outside.)

The Present Situation: I need new tires. I'm on a budget, but for comparison's sake we won't worry about the price tag. The tire models I have to choose from, at the place I'm going to get them put on, are the...

Geostar s6065,
Multi Mile Hero HR668,
Multi Mile Mirada Sport,
Toyo Spectrum,
Hankook H714,
Riken Raptor,
and Sumitomo HTR.

The Real Problem: I don't know any of these models from each other. I don't want to pay more for something that offers no real improvement over a basic model, but I also don't want to buy cheapies if they're going to collapse in a few months.

So of these seven models, are there some you would recommend? Keep in mind this is a daily driver, so racing performance doesn't matter at all. How long they last, however, does. Note also that I live in a semi-cold, high-elevation climate (Colorado) so these will be driven in snow, ice &c. once Winter comes.

Thanks for any help you can provide to me for this little dilemma, CI community.

-The CM.

Cnsnnt_Mn

Wheel size is 195/60 R14. As I'm currently unemployed, I can't afford to go much higher than these tires, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Last edited:

Cnsnnt_Mn

love the ziex tires i run those at auto x and they are perfect
Alright, so everyone seems to love the Falken Ziex brand, but what's the difference between the 329s (which I've found, but not every shop seems to carry) and the more prominent 512s, which seem to be everywhere?

Just curious.

Last edited:

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
Alright, so everyone seems to love the Falken Ziex brands, but if I may, what's the difference between the 329s (which I've found, but not every shop seems to carry) and the more prominent 512s, which seem to be everywhere?

Just curious.
I chose the 329 for you because you mentioned that you are on a budget. So I picked the cheaper model. I've drive on ZE-329 and it's a great tire for daily driving. If you can't find the ZE-329, then you can go with the ZE-512. Can't go wrong with either one.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I chose the 329 for you because you mentioned that you are on a budget. So I picked the cheaper model. I've drive on ZE-329 and it's a great tire for daily driving. If you can't find the ZE-329, then you can go with the ZE-512. Can't go wrong with either one.
i have the 512 and until they are super hot they hold traction or until i corner supppper hard.

8urcivic

ONLY couches pull out!!!!
discounttiredirect.com is who i use everytime.

and i always buy 205/50/15 falken ziex 512s.

there about 200 shipped for all 4 and have a shit ton of grip.

Cnsnnt_Mn

After reading some of the reviews on the 329, the 512, and the 912, some people say they can't drive in the snow (mild snow, I'm not driving this car in a blizzard), while others say they're fine. Anyone have any experience with driving any of these models in the rain?

Also, some people reported the Falkens cause vehicles to veer to the right. That doesn't really make sense on the 329s (as they're not unidirectional), but has this happened to anyone driving the 512s or 912s that were properly mounted? Could this be happening because of bad installation on those later models?

Thanks for the help, gentlemen. I'll probably get one of these models, because the price isn't that far off from the quoted price from the others I mentioned initially. They all cost right around the same amount of money - is one of these models particularly better than the others?

Last edited:

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
After reading some of the reviews on the 329, the 512, and the 912, some people say they can't drive in the snow (mild snow, I'm not driving this car in a blizzard), while others say they're fine. Anyone have any experience with driving any of these models in the rain?

Also, some people reported the Falkens cause vehicles to veer to the right. That doesn't really make sense on the 329s (as they're not unidirectional), but has this happened to anyone driving the 512s or 912s that were properly mounted? Could this be happening because of bad installation on those later models?

Thanks for the help, gentlemen. I'll probably get one of these models, because the price isn't that far off from the quoted price from the others I mentioned initially. They all cost right around the same amount of money - is one of these models particularly better than the others?
I drove in the snow with RT-615s.

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
So whats some good grippy tires for a street driven powerful FWD car, needs traction bad, friend asked me didnt know what to tell him, car does not have grip in first 3 gears, has LSD, not a honda so it has torque

Sorry my tire game is wack, dont really car much about tire rather than makin my wheels look good :)

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
discounttiredirect.com is who i use everytime.

and i always buy 205/50/15 falken ziex 512s.

there about 200 shipped for all 4 and have a shit ton of grip.
I had to beat on my 512's for over an hour and 20+miles of canyons before they got squishy and lost grip. And it was 85 out that day. They don't have the greatest grip but they are robust as fuck.

Another tire to look at is the Dunlop Direzza DZ101's. Great street tire/decent track tire and tire rack has been selling them for $60 a piece. And Discount tire/America's tire will beat Tire Rack's prices.

Can't go wrong either way.