Powder coating

Jdm Dina

Function with Form
Wow nice work! There is a shop near me that charges way too much for things like this! Makes me wanna start looking for a oven on Craigslist and get a powder coating system from eastwooods or summit!

Sent from Tomodachi Squad's Garage

TheMyth

Wow nice work! There is a shop near me that charges way too much for things like this! Makes me wanna start looking for a oven on Craigslist and get a powder coating system from eastwooods or summit!
Sent from Tomodachi Squad's Garage
You can do it. Prep is where the outcome is at. Make sure the surface is clean.. There is a lot of videos on what to do..

DC Guardian

Uniqueness defines
I have a question, does the manufactor's color surface/texture make a difference in powder coating/longevity? More specificaly a chrome finish compared to a flat color finish.

Sent from my DC4

TheMyth

I would probably say the piece's environment would determine the powder coats longevity.. You can still get sun bleaching and such things.... Let me know if I'm on the same page that you are trying to get to.

TheMyth

As for one color lasting longer than another color? I really wouldn't think that. I would still lean towards the living environment of the part for the life span. Plus, some powder coat requires a clear coat, due to sun bleaching/fade.. It seems other ppl has ran into these problems and questions before.

DC Guardian

Uniqueness defines
No i mean like, since i dont know if powder coating is the same as painting, a flat paibt finish has a better chance of paint sticking compared to a chrome finish even after scruffing a bit. Does the same concept apply to powder coating? Or does the finish not matter? What in asking is about the paint staying on/not chipping the longest

Sent from my DC4

TheMyth

OK. With powder coat, it is alil different than paint. Paint will stick to whatever surface. I found that even though powder coat is applied with a electrical charge, it still needs alil rough texture to adhere to. It will be thick enough that it will fill sand scratches, sand blast pits, etc of things to that nature. But those will give it something to cling and melt into.
Like the intake tube that I need to coat. It has that chrome coating on it. The powder doesn't like to stick to that tube if I just do a wipe down on it.

DC Guardian

Uniqueness defines
So a rough surface, or flat-paint texture, would have better adhesion for the powder coat, than a chrome finish, unless scuffed. At which point both surface textures would then have somewhat equal adhesion properties, is that the gist of it?

Would the chrome need to be scuffed alot? (Talking rims here)

Sent from my DC4

TheMyth

Whatever the part is, I would at least light scuff and clean. If the paint is comparable to rustoleum/krylon, I would completely remove.
I'm only speaking from what I have dealt with. Someone else may know of a "work around".

DC Guardian

Uniqueness defines
Im thinking ahead, buying some rims but they dont have the color i seek, just flat and chrome black, both for the same price. Trying to save myself some labor cost for when the time does come to powder coat them

Sent from my DC4

DC Guardian

Uniqueness defines
Who? I have no idea. What? Something like a metalic dark grey. This is something that is way down the road, but id like to be prepared n save up

Sent from my DC4