Powder coating

TheMyth

Powder coated a friends 17" rims this past Saturday. Took a while to get the 5-6 coats of Krylon off.

Once we got all the paint off it was prep time.

Then for the coating.

And will cooking. 400°f for 10 minutes after the powder flows out. And you get nice results, if you cleaned thoroughly.

They look a million times better than they did before. And should resist rock/pebble chipping better than the krylon. Especially coating the face a couple times.

TheMyth

My catch can and intake on my ride.

Had these to do for a friend that has supercharged S2000.

End results of the supercharger parts.

Bare naked S2K valve cover.

And after with wrinkle black.

Last edited:

pinkley

b@115D33p
Looks good, man! I had a lot powdered on my teg when I had it. Keep up the good work!

TheMyth

Thanks. Been slack for a while. But I'm going to have a weekend worth of parts to due coming up. Got some parts for a cousin's integra and some parts for my dad's 74 Plymouth Barracuda.. Will post them up when I get them done.

TheMyth

No pics tonight, but will have them tomorrow. Had a lot of b.s. go on tonight.. and glad ppl are interested. Its really not hard to do. Just time consuming. And like a paint job, its all about prep!!

meANDmyDB7

actually has an FB6 now.
if you lived close to me, i'd definitely pay you to powecoat my gsr blades. but regardless, i love the valve covers.

TheMyth

Where I'm at, there is a Summit Racing store about 75 miles away. Picked up a electric powder coating gun. If you get one that uses a air compressor, you need to understand that you will have to filter the air line due to moisture! But this is the gun I got from them.

You have to clip the ground on the piece you are applying the powder to. At the tip of the gun, there is metal pin sticking out. That is where the powder gets its electric positive charge. Do not touch the pin to the metal as you are applying!! Lol its like any electrical/ electronic situation, you don't want to short it out.
Here is some of the powder I have.

There is other places to get powder from, like "powder by the pound"(rounds like they have a different business! :cool:),etc...
And you can use a conventional oven.

Once you cook your parts, don't cook your dinner afterwards! Whatever size oven you have, will determine the size of the part you can coat of course. I need a little bigger oven at the time. So I modified it.

Cut the back out and welded a 12" extension on the back. And this was done to get the 17" wheels in the oven you guys seen in my 1st post. Reroute the wires so they don't burn/melt. And put a couple heat shields on the back. :):):):)