Prozon's '93 GS Build

Prozon

Kris
=======================================================================[/U][/B]
Message Originally Posted 07-02-2010 at 4:03am.
Hey Hey CI,
I decided I would make a build thread for my Integra, since I will pretty much be building this thing up from scratch, and learning as I go, I would appreciate everyone's comments. Good or bad. :roll: I bought this car for $300 a few weeks ago, with the general knowledge that it had a messed up motor and it needed some TLC. (Body work. :shock:)

I apologize in advance for the images being resized funny. I'm on dial-up so I sized them down to make them easier to upload, and then a few of them I uploaded from my laptop so sizes will vary lol. Here we go...

The car is a 1993 Acura Integra GS. It has the B18a1 in it, with a 5 speed manual transmission.

The day I brought it home was the day I got a reeeeeeeal close look at it. The first thing I saw was that the body lines on the drivers side were waaaay off.

Sitting outside the shop.

The first thing I did when I got it in the shop was pull the white front end off it. This was really easy because the PO did a very bad job putting it on! The front bumper was held on by TWO screws. One on each side.

In the shop ready to be stripped. :twisted:

The motor really didn't LOOK too bad on the outside. The first thing I noticed though was the crankshaft pulley was wobbly. (We'll talk more about that later.)

The engine, all bling bling with some pink parts. :lol:

The naked teggy. I think it looks better this way. :roll:

So with all the white stuff stripped off, I found the source of the bad body lines, which would be.. well.. some bad body damage!

Only the metal the fender attaches to is damaged though. :D

Now my original plan was to search craigslist for a local integra getting junked. Found a few, but oddly enough no one wants to let me take a grinder to their cars. :x My new plan is a lot simpler, just cut out all the bad metal, weld in a nice little frame and then fill it in with some sheet metal. It'll be good as new. :D

So with all that aside for a later day, I started on the engine removal. I figured this engine needs to be rebuilt or replaced, so removing it would be my first step. After a few hours disconnecting wires and hoses, I finally got to the part of the removal where I actually "LIFT" the engine out. Needless to say, being the first manual transmission car I have removed the engine from, it was interesting!

But alas, it did get removed. (And nothing got broken in the process!)

I found the source of the pulley problem.. it appears that the crankshaft was indeed damaged. Not nearly as bad as I thought though.

If you can see in the picture, a chunk got broken off..

I don't know how much the crank was damaged, but I think I can get it machined down and sleeved, or maybe just work with it another way. If it comes down to it I can just get another crankshaft. :???:

While tearing down the engine I noticed a few things, this engine HAS to have been rebuilt before. With the odometer sitting at 270k there's no way it wasn't. The bearings on the crankshaft look new, as well as the head gasket. It worries me, but makes me feel all that much better that i'm going to go through and replace it all anyways.

I have yet to do any real snooping on the head except to check out the cams, which seem good. My assumption is that the engine needed some piston rings and valve seals. I will be calling today to get some prices on machine work for the head, and then ordering some parts.

While i'm waiting on the engine I will probably start on the body work trying to repair that front section and getting the fender to line up right. Other then the front being smashed, there is only a few small dings and scuffs along the drivers side. The rest of the car is in good condition.

My current plans:
  • Finish the engine build.
  • Give the car a good paint job.
  • Install the audio.
  • Car Alarm
  • Redo Gauge Lights
  • More as I think of em'
Like I said, any suggestions for the car are welcome. (And greatly appreciated.) Any questions you have, I can answer pretty quick. Oh and of course, advise is needed and really REALLY appreciated. (Is that the same as suggestions?) :p

Thanks for reading kids. Will update soon with more pictures.

Last edited:

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Good luck :thumbs up looks like a lot of work, but you have a good start on it.

Rich-PMS

Looks good!

If it were me I'd drop a b20 into it :)

you'll be needing a new crank shaft, gasket kit, machine shop work...

I'd buy a b20, gasket kit, timing belt kit, and have at it!

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Looks good!

If it were me I'd drop a b20 into it :)

you'll be needing a new crank shaft, gasket kit, machine shop work...

I'd buy a b20, gasket kit, timing belt kit, and have at it!
Or just get a B1 and boost it :D B20's are mehhh

Prozon

Kris
I was thinking later down the road I might decide to upgrade to a better engine with a turbo, but right now I think i'm just going to get this thing going to see how I like it. I'm probably going to work on the damage today, it's the only part of the car that requires cutting/welding so I wanted to get it out of the way first.

I will probably post pictures next time i'm on. So expect an update tonight.

Edit:
I had a question about swapping to a B18b, if you'd like check it out and see if you can help.
http://www.clubintegra.com/board/showthread.php?p=658190#post658190

Last edited:

Prozon

Kris
Well not much of an update but I said I would update something.

The head of my engine appears to be fine, so bad crank and piston rings are what I know. I'm going for a rebuilt B18b1 on monday. Hopefully it looks good, i'll get it and drop it in by the end of the week. :)

jznsn2u

Welcome to Club Integra, it looks like you have a pretty fun project ahead of you :thumbs up

Prozon

Kris
Thanks for the comments guys. If i'm not stuck seeing the girlfriend tomorrow the teggy will get a little more repair time. I'm aiming to get something built up front to get that fender fitting right.

You have no idea how anxious I am for Monday to roll around! :D

Prozon

Kris
So I drove about an hour and a half today to get the new engine. It looks real nice, and the guy who sold it to me seems to have a good build planned. He had a brand new block, planning to run a turbo with around 15 pounds.

Anyways, more to MY build.
Picked up the engine, got it on my engine stand.
I need to install the oil pump and get a crankshaft pulley for it.

Riding in the truck. (After I unstrapped, and unwrapped it.)

The exhaust manifold gasket really makes it look ugly lol.

On the stand in the shop.

The other side.

Going to get my valve cover and exhaust manifold powder coated to match the car.
I might just paint the valve cover, my buddies bud can get me a good deal. We'll see on the prices.

Current to do list:
Fixing front fender mount. (STILL.)
Install oil pump, oil pan, timing cover, and new pulley.
Paint valve cover.
Powdercoat exhaust manifold.

Near Future to do list:
Install Engine
Paint car.
Install audio system.
Custom gauge lights.
Under dash lights.
New pedals. (Probably just covers.)
Break in the new engine like a mo-fo. :)

Edit:
I just realized that the engine is probably the cleanest thing in my shop. Lmao.

Last edited:

Prozon

Kris
It's been awhile since I have updated this so I thought I would.

I got the bad metal cut out of the front fender area, and it looks a thousand times better now. I got some new metal cut out right to weld in. Hopefully i'll have it all done tomorrow. ( I got delayed waiting on welding wire. )

So if all goes as planned i'll finish the front and get the fender lined up right. Once it all fits right i'll take the fender off and pull the transmission to get ready for the engine install.

Prozon

Kris
I've lost my camera or i'd have some pictures on here, I borrowed a camera and now I can't find the cord for it. Sooo... I guess when I find my camera again i'll post some. I just need to weld in a piece of metal, drill some holes and hope everything fits good.

Prozon

Kris
I got the welding done, it doesn't look too bad. Not that it matters, you can't see it anyways with the fender on.
I bolted the fender up and it doesn't rattle. I can't get the bolt to go in the bottom fender hole by the door.. but the fender is solid with no rattles, so i'm not too worried about it.

I'm about to go put the oil pump, crankshaft pulley and oil pan on. Then after that I'll start getting ready to drop the engine in!! :D

Hopefully by Friday it'll be drivable.
Pictures to come.. as soon as I find a cord for this camera or another camera lol.