Prozon's '93 GS Build

mirrorimg

I take it you're going to source the studs, nuts and bolts from the bottom of your old engine? Because your new one is missing them.

Looking good on the build. Keep it up.

Prozon

Kris
Yeah I was planning to take what I needed from the other engine. I need to go buy a key for the crankshaft pulley. Sadly they closed a half hour ago, so i'll have to wait. I still need to buy a timing cover too which I completely forgot about until now. :\

Hmmm.. is it bad to run the engine without a timing cover? lol.

Thanks for all the comments guys. And mirrorimg, good eye. ;)

mirrorimg

Ive been through this whole process myself ;)

The only way I would run without a cover is if it was a drag car. You may have a rock fly up in there during daily driving and get caught in the gears (Cam or timing belt) and wreak havoc. I dont recommend it, although it looks much cooler.

Have you had that crank looked at? I have one with a spun rod bearing in my garage that you can have (if you're local) otherwise it wouldn't be worth it to ship (and may not even be repairable).

Prozon

Kris
Everything looks good. This new engine is in a lot better shape then the other one. I do not believe i'm local to you. I'm in Western Washington.

I found my camera. Posting pictures... eventually. (Dialup.)

Prozon

Kris
Alrighty here are a few pictures for you guys.

So what do you all think of the repair? It's functional and it makes the fender line up right. :)

Last edited:

Prozon

Kris
So the ONLY thing i'm missing now is the timing belt cover. The back half of the top, and the bottom of it. The old engine had a busted timing cover on bottom and i'm just missing the top back.. not sure where it's at. Looked online and it's about $50 for both. At the dealer they wanted $80 for the gasket and the bottom of timing cover.. Seeing as how I am FLAT BROKE that won't happen soon.

jesse11494

alllmotor baby =))
wow

yes i agree it is going to be one hell of a project but should be fun just got my first teg 2 weeks go for 250$:) but it is my project to so u should add me because u and me are kinda doing the same thing man i got a 1990 rs with a b20 non vtech not working and im learnin as i go so best of luck on ur project man:D

Prozon

Kris
Thanks for the comment man. The same applies here, kind of learning as I go. I have had experience with other vehicles swapping motors and such.. but NEVER anything this small. I've restored a Jeep, so the body work won't be too bad. I am really excited to finish this, I have the engine all together except my timing cover pieces. WHICH ARE ORDERED. :)

If you have a build thread, give me a link lol.

Last edited:

Prozon

Kris
Well like I said in my last post, I ordered the timing cover parts I was missing.
(Then when I was in my shop I looked at my old head to notice the cover was attached..)

Ah whatever, new parts are always better right?

So anyways, I was thinking of powdercoating my exhaust manifold, but seeing as how I want to get this engine DONE and IN, I cleaned the manifold with a wirebrush and attachment for my drill. Sprayed some exhaust paint, so now it's all shiny.

It's curing right now, but it looks bad assssss.

And I was assessing the damage to the vehicle, and god damn, there is A LOT of little dents. Three dents right next to each other on the roof.. and three on the rear end..

I was hoping I could get to the roof dents from the inside..
How difficult is it to remove the headliner?

I'll keep you all updated as I go..
Thanks for reading. :)

Prozon

Kris
Thanks Blaketeg. :D

I repainted some of the interior pieces black, because someone at one time had them painted white. (To match the mismatched white front end I guess??)

They look a lot better, so now the trim around door handles and trim around the gauges are freshly painted black. Also found every little dent on the car so that I can fix them, hopefully even before the engine goes in. (Last of the part's arrive next THURSDAY.)

I found 4 dents on the roof, all very small and all above the drivers door. I'm sure a good prep and a little bondo will work fine. They're the kind of dents you can only see in certain light. There is one, I might have to try to pull out a little. Then there are three little dents by the gas tank door.. once again, only with the right light and at the right angle.. then on the trim that goes under the tail lights/trunk is pretty banged up. Five dents along that piece, I need to take it off.. maybe I can just flatten it out with the piece off, but it might be replaced for simplicity.

The rest of the car is pretty straight. I want to get the whole car painted soon. This thing has to be CHERRY. ;)

Prozon

Kris
Took me awhile to figure out what you were referring to.
The guy that I bought the engine from is running a turbo, not me. And his will not be stock. All I know about it is that he has some crazy block that can supposedly handle 60 pounds and forged pistons are going in it.

Prozon

Kris
My timing cover came today. I feel as if the top part of the timing cover isn't supposed to go on with the camshafts installed.. it seemed very difficult.. anyways, I got the top on..

The timing belt was giving me trouble, so I gave up for now.. pretty late. I got pretty mad at it, I couldn't get the damn belt to get on the gears.. is there a trick to it?? The tensioner had every bit off it so I could put the belt on.. if the belt was a hair longer it would have been on.. My friend got it on before I had my cover.. but I can't manage it..

Aggghhh..

Hopefully have the engine ready to go in tomorrow.. then hopefully get it installed soon. Need to find some free time!

Prozon

Kris
Well it has been awhile since I gave you an update. I am in the process of trying to find the free time to do the engine. What I have been doing recently is marking things. (Where vacuum lines and other hoses go.) Besides a few missing nuts and bolts it's pretty much all wrapped up.

Belt is on. Had to swap the water pump. Apparently the B18B had a bigger gear then the B18A.

The exhaust is on, but i'm missing a few nuts for it.. so just need to track those down!

Does anyone know what this bolt goes to? I've got a few of them and i'm not sure where they came from..

Also need help locating what goes to these.. going to try to look at my girlfriends LS.. but in the mean time, if anyone knows let me know. Pictures? :)

The engine! (Again)

And as always.. any comments.. questions.. constructive criticism, support.. all welcome. :)
Hopefully will give you an update soon.

Last edited: