question about swapping

TreJordan

Body first, then Motor!
if im swapping a vtec motor into an ls do i need the shift linkage, axles and different motor mounts?

Jabes

^^ what he said, only things you should need are, ecu for vtec, (from a gsr preferably) and the wiring harness or someway to wire up the vtec

mirrorimg

Would help if you swapped the tranny also. Shorter gears help out quite a bit, and are often overlooked when people are going for a HP #.

Mick Lvn

Depending on whether you do a JDM or USDM motor, the swap will be different as far as any wiring you may need to do or what ECU you need to run. You may use your stock linkage, mounts, axles, everything!

JDM motors do not have a vtec oil pressure switch, so if you go JDM, you need a JDM ECU or a tuneable ECU to bypass the pressure switch. Otherwise, you USDM ECU will be looking for a switch that your engine doesn't have, unless you put a USDM solenoid on it.

On both you will need to run a wire to the knock sensor, and a wire to the vtec solenoid.
Also, keep in mind that you may need a jumper harness for the ECU depending on the route you choose to go with it

Hope this helps prepare you for the swap. GL!

Mick Lvn

gsr tranny is practical in any situation
I have a 4.7FD ITR trans, and my gas mileage is 30-33mpg which is the exact same mileage I got with my GSR and LS trans. And yes, I hit the interstate very ofter and I am cruising at 4k at 70mph.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I have a 4.7FD ITR trans, and my gas mileage is 30-33mpg which is the exact same mileage I got with my GSR and LS trans. And yes, I hit the interstate very ofter and I am cruising at 4k at 70mph.
yup same here i have a gsr tranny and i wont say that my gas isnt the best right now because im being childish with the new tranny but its all depending on the way you drive

Mick Lvn

yup same here i have a gsr tranny and i wont say that my gas isnt the best right now because im being childish with the new tranny but its all depending on the way you drive
Yeah true, I mean I drive like normal adult too, so that helps I am sure

Kiss My ASS

Depending on whether you do a JDM or USDM motor, the swap will be different as far as any wiring you may need to do or what ECU you need to run. You may use your stock linkage, mounts, axles, everything!. GL!
Amend bro... JDM motor with JDM ecu, drop and go. JDM motor without JDM ecu, tune ecu and lots of wiring = time and money. Just USDM, drop and go. Small info like if you getting a JDM or USDM, would help a lot.......

Mick Lvn

Amend bro... JDM motor with JDM ecu, drop and go. JDM motor without JDM ecu, tune ecu and lots of wiring = time and money. Just USDM, drop and go. Small info like if you getting a JDM or USDM, would help a lot.......
not really, if he wants to run a JDM motor he doesnt have to do any extra wiring, only decide how he would like to do the vtec oil pressure switch. he can get a phareable chipped ECU that will come already with the sensor bypassed, he can run hondata s300 and do it himself, he can put a USDM solenoid on it and have the pressure switch there and then just wire it to the USDM ECU and that will work too. only way it gets a lot more costly is if he goes the route i did and just purchase the Hondata and go and bypass the sensor himself

TreJordan

Body first, then Motor!
I was planning on running either the c1 or c5 motor from jspecauto or hmotorsonline so i could pay extra for the LSD tranny. And they all say JDM engine.