Review: Strada Industries Sunroof Plug

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Now, many of you have probably not herd of Strada Industries, they make the front end that Sheepy Built proudly flaunts:

Now im going to try and make this as objective as possible. I ordered this off Honda-Tech from some dude, and it came, looked fine. Car went into the shop and i wasnt able to test fit it because it was at Garage Star. So Last monday, we test fit the actual piece:

test fitted last monday, didnt fit and was hella flimsy

After inspection, it fit properly on one side, while it was off about 1/8 inch on the other side, as well as the tabs being uneven, and probably could be trimmed. My friend, Ken, pointed out that it actually looked like it was two pieces of fiberglass put together, as there was a super dark strip in the middle.
A few days later, i cut cardboard to make an "x brace" i choose an x because it makes lots of triangles and thats a strong geometric shape. the actual plug was super flimsy and felt like it would snap. It also made weird movements when i soft mounted it in the car.

fiberglass layed down to help reinforce the roof. This was my first time using fiberglass.

After mounting and trimming everything to fit, bondo was layed down to try and even everything out and smooth it out as well.

bondo sanded

painted and put a bead of silicone on top to seal it. This step is natural of any plug you will use, solicone to seal it. I chose the clear stuff.

This plug was riveted in to hold it in place, i believe all kits use the riviets, lightfaster uses them on top of the carbon plug, i used it on the tabs to hold it in.

Now, was the plug worth all the hassle? In my opinion, not really. i would have liked it to fit the first time but whatever, i learned how to fiberglass and spent more than half of what i would have on the lighter faster kit.

Would i recomend this product? Probably not, and as i herd, Strata is one of those companies that are really hit or miss. It did feel like the plug was poorly made and it was reflected in the fitment.

dlo253

Interesting. All that hassle you could have legit deleted it... hopefully you didn't pay too much for it.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
This is supposedly a "llegit delete"

After weighing the pros and cons, i realize, i didnt pay too much for it, i learned a lot, i had fun with the lads, and i didnt pay too much for it! Plus, funding was an issue. Well funding is always an issue.

dlo253

Well I meant actually doing a full on delete. But hey, if it didn't break your pockets and you had a good experience with the other aspects then that's all that matters. Yeah, when is funding not an issue? Haha.

TheMyth

I'm trying to remember, but there was a company about 8-10 years ago was making sunroof delete plugs.. When I called the guy he told me to send him my sunroof glass and they would make the plug off my glass... But I never made it that far... And theirs used revits like you said you had to use. There is a couple side that you really don't have to much material to anchor to.. And kinda wondered how I would deal sealing it.. Told the wife if something happened to my sunroof now, that I would re-skin it.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
i rivited mine to all 4 sides, you just have to be super careful. I used small rivets. 1/8". you can use silicone to seal it.

pluckt007

Fat guy in a little coat.
Y not just leave the glass up? The rubber would seal , u get a glass top too.

Show pics when its painted over?

XjoEnX

He had to remove it to make room for his roll bar. Nice review Dylan. Glad you fixed the fitment issue.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
You get much rain where you are at?
we get enough, its water proof. This also isnt a daily driven car. I poured liters of water over the top yesteday and it held.

it is painted over. Its just black. The sunroof had to be taken out because it didnt fit with my rollbar which is literally touching frame in some places its so tightly put in. Its actually so high and tight, they couldnt do what i originally wanted with the main hoop just because it was built so well. I actually played with the idea of just the glass on there, but there was no real way to support it. This was actually an easier option in my mind.

He had to remove it to make room for his roll bar. Nice review Dylan. Glad you fixed the fitment issue.
ed zachery